Door Knob

Old 04-16-21, 06:16 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Door Knob

We wanted to buy new door knobs for the bedrooms. We had replaced one when we bought the place 4 years ago. But, it was just a plain jane door knob with a lock on the inside.
We wanted to put a key pad door knob on the office. So, we bought one & when I went to install it, the hole in the door was smaller than the part that slides into the hole. I'm thinking... WTH! I have replaced a bunch of door knobs including a couple of key pad types. Wait a minute... there are different size door holes??? What? Why? And how do I know what the different sizes of door knobs/locks there are &/or to buy for various doors?

Obviously, this is a cheap hollow core interior door.

I have always just went to the hardware store & or big box store & chose the style & color I want, bought them & installed. Have I just been lucky? I mean the plain jane one I bought at the big box store fit the other bedroom interior door, but this key pad one we bought wont fit the same type door just across the hall.

What do I need to know?

Old 04-16-21, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Are you talking about the hole the knob goes in, or the hole the latch goes in?

If its the hole the knob goes in, you just need to clamp a piece of plywood onto the door, and use a hole saw to drill the correct sized hole. Typically 2", and know which backset you will use... 2 3/8" or 2 3/4".

Everything you need to know to install it should be in the installation instructions. But if you have an old mortise style latch, (looks like a big box with 2 screws on edge) they aren't really compatible with new knobs and latches without a lot of epoxy and redrilling.

Old 04-17-21, 04:52 AM
D
Group Moderator
Thanks for the input.

Yes, its the big hole through the door where the knob goes through.

Correct me if I am wrong but, cant I buy different size knobs to fit different size holes? I mean, really, I have never run into this before. But, I would think since there are different size holes, there would be different size knob assemblies to fit those holes. I mean, there's one in it now.
I am just assuming that I would simply measure the hole & buy a knob to fit that hole.
On the other hand, this door was put here in 1968... there may have been different sizes then, but now everything maybe standard...??? Hence the reason that I have to bore out the hole. ???????

As for how to install, I have replaced many door knobs & a couple of the keypad ones but I have never run into a hole that was too small for the knob assembly. So, I am familiar with the installation.
This too small hole & door knob assembly has kinda thrown me for a loop.

Old 04-17-21, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Well, like I said, its a pretty simple thing to drill, the hole bigger. And 2 1/8" is now the standard size. I'm sure you could find a passage set to fit the hole but they will cost you a lot more. Just Google 1 5/8" door knobs.

Old 04-17-21, 05:18 AM
D
Group Moderator
OK great. Thanks buddy. I appreciate you taking the time to help/educate me.

XSleeper voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: