vinyl replacement windowns

Old 06-23-01, 03:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I do you determine size for vinyl replacement windows and how are they installed once you have the right size?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-01, 11:40 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you thinking of replacing, or retrofitting the windows? Those are 2 different things. 'Replacing' involves removing the entire existing window, frame and all. 'Retrofitting' removes only the sashes, mullions, and stationary glass, and the new window is sized to slip inside the existing frame.

Old 06-25-01, 08:32 PM
Visiting Guest
vinyl replacement windows

thanks Lefty, I'd like to buy the vinyl replacements they sell at Home Depot or Lowes, so I assume I'm looking to "do the whole thing," and not retrofit -- unless that's what those standard vinyl windows are for.

Old 06-26-01, 11:20 PM
L
The windows at Home Depot, etc., are for new construction or replacement, not retrofitting. Retrofits are custom made to exact size needed to fit inside existing frames. If you decide to go the replacement route, be aware of what is required. When a house is built, the windows are installed after it is framed, but before the siding is installed. The siding is put on so that it covers the nail fins of the windows. To get the old window out, you will have to cut the siding back away from the windows so you can get to the nail fins. That can create leaks if you don't get things sealed perfectly when you install the new windows. For that reason, I would suggest that you retrofit, not replace, your windows.

Old 06-28-01, 10:54 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While the Mets are losing fly-balls in the sun and W.Bush's limousine crashes into the (formerly)Leaning Tower of Pisa, Warmax might want to check out:

http://www.marvin.com/showroom/tiltpac.html

Good source for utilizing existing frames and replacing just the sash. The kits also include new weathertight jambliners, and you lose less viewable glass area(1/4" around) with these than with vinyls(1/2 - 1")around.

Keep us informed on your progress.
: )

-Chris

Old 06-28-01, 10:56 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While the Mets are losing fly-balls in the sun and W.Bush's limousine crashes into the (formerly)Leaning Tower of Pisa, Warmax might want to check out:

http://www.marvin.com/showroom/tiltpac.html

Good source for utilizing existing frames and replacing just the sash. The kits also include new weathertight jambliners, and you lose less viewable glass area(1/4" around) with these than with vinyls(1/2 - 1")around. Screens optional.

Keep us informed on your progress.
: )

-Chris
"sorry for the multiple post - server at work is POS"