Window Leak

Old 02-17-22, 04:16 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window Leak

We had new windows and stucco installed about a year and a half ago. It snowed this morning and melted off. Some of that melt found its way in. Is this a window installation issue or stucco? I can't see any obvious sign how the water is getting in. Looks like a slight gap between the window and stucco. But it's completely dry outside and water is still dripping inside.

Old 02-17-22, 04:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I do think I see cracking where the stucco meets the window frame but that's not too unusual. There should be flashing/water protection behind to keep the water out.

Is there snow or ice on the roof? Any possibility of an ice dam on the roof allowing water to back up under the shingles?

Your first picture is very close. Is that inside the home? Another photo from further back might help for context. It just seems odd because it looks like the window is right up against the ceiling... maybe.

Old 02-17-22, 04:37 PM
R
The window is on the ground floor of a two story house with a flat roof. I checked the room above it and can't see any water penetration upstairs. Here's a wider view for context.

Old 02-17-22, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
No flashing detail, no caulking on the exterior window brickmould. I think you could call anyone with a caulking gun, since that is about the only thing you can do without tearing off stucco.

I'd suggest you try to recreate the leak with a garden hose to ensure the leak is happening at the top of the window, and not at the roof.

Old 02-17-22, 05:21 PM
R
I put a cup out to catch the water drips and the water is almost black. So I suspect it is a roof leak and itís working itís way down the inside of the wall. Just not sure why there arenít any signs of it in the room above. Iíll try to get up on the roof tomorrow when I have time.

Old 02-17-22, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
Could very well be. Water can run behind the stucco, staying on top of the WRB the entire way, until it gets to a window opening, where it leaks in. If so, the wrb is doing its job protecting the sheathing on the way down.

Old 02-17-22, 05:36 PM
R
Iím not sure if this makes a difference, but itís synthetic stucco. They applied brown coat over the old stucco before applying the synthetic stucco. They also did the parapets.

The roof is six years old. We had one leak a couple years ago when the seal between the roof and the parapet failed. I suspect itís a similar situation in a different spot.

Old 02-17-22, 05:38 PM
R
Luckily Iíve become pretty proficient at repairing drywall. Just need to get it and keep it dry first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: