Modification to front door threshold

Old 03-04-22, 01:18 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modification to front door threshold

Our front door has needed adjusting for some time (it had a much wider gap in the top right corner than the top left corner). So, the other day I got some shims and adjusted the door (by adjusting the hinges while shimmed). At the same time, I replaced the weather stripping on the bottom of the door.

It was always a snug fit at the bottom, and that has changed a little now. The weather strip used to drag a little, but the door closed with no problem. Now, if the wood piece shown in the pics (below) is in place, the door hits on it and will not close.

threshold

As you can see, there are four "nuts" fixed in place in the threshold. The wood piece has a channel to account for that. I was thinking if I removed that lip that makes up the channel on the wood piece it would rest lower, but then I realized it wouldn't because the wood would still be sitting on those nuts.

Is there something other than would I could put down there that would serve the same purpose and would make this a quick fix? I don't really want to have someone come out and shave off the bottom of the door.

The bottom line is that whatever I use to fill in that gap cannot sit higher than the show moulding seen in the pics.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 03-04-22, 02:45 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Clean up the strip and track it fits in, put that strip back in, back the screws off and use a rubber mallet to tap it it lightly to get it to slide down in the track.

Old 03-04-22, 05:14 PM
H
Joe, I'll check the depth of the shoe moulding vs. that piece of wood in the morning. I tried backing off the screws and they won't back out of the fastener (even with pressure applied to the wood strip). That fastener they're attached to only keeps them in place so they can be screwed down.

f it turns out the depth will work, I'll take a Dremel disc to the bolts and cut them. I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal with that piece just resting in there, but my gut says the height is going to be a problem. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Old 03-04-22, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,470 Posts
The adjustable threshold probably just needs to be screwed as low as it will go. Either that or the door bottom weatherstrip you put on is too thick.

I would not ruin the adjustability of your threshold by altering your bolts. If a door drags on bottom its usually because the sill is out of level or the hinges never got a 3" screw put through one of the holes (closest to the weatherstrip) which allows it to sag.

Old 03-05-22, 06:57 AM
H
I just measured the height of the shoe moulding in that channel where the wood piece sits. It's 1/2" in height (from the bottom of the the channel to the top of the shoe moulding), whereas the wood piece is almost 3/4".

Is there a different type of weather stripping I can attach to the "face" of the door (i.e not on the bottom but on the visible part of the door itself) that would allow me to get rid of the weather stripping on the bottom of the door? There's a pretty good gap on the bottom that the current weather strip fills in nicely. Or do they make the bottom weather strips in different "depths"?

I do have a 3" screw in the top hinge and two in the middle. I have more on order, but I don't think that's going to help much (especially since there's very little play at the top of the door now).

OR, should I just have someone cut me a piece of wood to the right height and cut a channel in it to compensate for the nuts in the channel (and just set that piece of wood in the channel)? That might be the easiest solution.

Last edited by hikerguy; 03-05-22 at 07:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: