Entry door drags on adjustable threshold

Old 03-12-22, 01:09 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Entry door drags on adjustable threshold

I am the victim of a bad entry door install on a four-season sunroom.

The door drags at the lower corner on the side opposite of the hinge. It drags on the adjustable threshold. I confirmed that the threshold was adjusted as low as possible (all four screws backed out). I've added a shim behind the lower hinge on the door to try to push out and lift the dragging corner. Any more adjustment on the lower hinge and it's bound to start dragging on the side.

The threshold is installed on a vinyl deck which might be part of the problem (not completely level? expand/contract?).

Any other thoughts of things I can do to improve this?

Old 03-12-22, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,749 Upvotes on 1,573 Posts
Yeah if the deck isn't level or if it's shifting that would be a real source of problems. In all likelihood the sill isn't level... such as if the left hinge side of the door is lower than the right latch side.

Ensure that you have a long 3" screw in the top hinge (one of the 2 holes closest to the weatherstrip) since as you tighten that screw it will help pull the sagging door up a little.

Another tweak is to remove all the screws on the top hinge (jamb side) and tape a toothpick (or two or three) vertically to the back side of the hinge, right on the back edge that is closest to the weatherstrip. Then screw the hinge down on that toothpick shim. What that does is it rolls the barrel of the hinge slightly left which will also help raise the door on the bottom right corner just a little.

The opposite could be done on the bottom hinge. Your toothpicks would go behind the bottom hinge, farthest away from the weatherstrip. This would tip the bottom hinge pin a little more to the right.

It's also possible that you might not be getting as much adjustment as you should out of your threshold. There is a nail in that quarter round, and it might have pinned your adjustable threshold, preventing it from moving down when you try to adjust it. So maybe remove the quarter round (and nail) and try adjusting it again. Place a block of wood on the threshold and lightly tap it with a hammer to ensure it is down all the way.

jogordo voted this post useful.
Old 03-12-22, 02:04 PM
J
Thanks. You'll see I don't have much to work with on the top left, but I think I understand your toothpick trick and will give that a shot. In fact, you can see that the frame is also not very square for this installation either - total disappointment.

Old 03-12-22, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, that photo also tells me the top of the door should have been shimmed left farther which would also explain why it's dragging. To do that you'd need to remove the trim and probably would need to cut the door loose to reshim it, which I'm assuming you would rather not do.

Old 03-12-22, 02:11 PM
J
Yes, trying to avoid anything that invasive at this point...but I realize I may not have many choices.

Old 03-14-22, 02:22 PM
J
I've noticed that the door jamb has some visible adjustment screws (four per side?) behind the seals - forgive me, construction is not my strength. Is there anything that can be done with these screws to adjust the apparent twist out of the frame and make it a little more square? You can see how tightly the hinges are pulling in on the left side.

Old 03-14-22, 02:39 PM
J
And by the way, what I think is happening is that water is getting underneath the adjustable threshold, freezing, and causing it to rise up and drag on the door. Weather is well thawed today (50s), and I tapped down on the threshold with a mallet, only to see a lot of water spit out. Any way to combat this?

Old 03-14-22, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
No. Those are simply installation shim/screws. You aren't moving the door frame when it's shimmed, foamed and the trim is nailed to both sides. But you could shim the hinges the way I mentioned.

Maybe get a full view storm door to prevent water getting to the sill and threshold.

Old 03-14-22, 04:56 PM
J
Thanks. Wasn't sure if I should run a bead of sealant along the adjustable threshold on the outside of the door. I will refrain from doing so. Thanks!

Old 03-14-22, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Once you caulk it it's not adjustable anymore.

jogordo voted this post useful.
Old 03-15-22, 04:13 PM
J
I was thinking once it's installed and adjusted to the correct position, it shouldn't need further adjustment.

I'm wondering if leaving the adjustment screws backed all of the way out might be allowing the threshold to lift slightly with the freeze/thaw cycles. There is definitely a point where the adjustment screws become fully loose for at least a half a turn. Wondering if they should be left under minimal tension; not enough to lift the adjustable piece, but enough to prevent it from lifting on its own. I don't have enough experience making the adjustments to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: