Hollow core door repair

Old 03-23-22, 08:00 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hollow core door repair

Have a set of hollow core sliding closte doors where I rent My 8 year old twins had put a hole in one , I had reversed them and painted , now we have another hole in the same door . I really do not want to buy a new one , as then i'd have to cut it doen , what is the best repair for a slab masonite door ?

Old 03-23-22, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,311
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
You can glue a piece of luan or paneling to the face of the door.
Old 03-23-22, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,898
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
I'd contact the landlord since this isn't your property.
XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 03-23-22, 08:42 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 9,471
Received 1,142 Upvotes on 1,035 Posts
If it were me. I'd clean the hole up, slip a thin piece of wood into the door and glue it to the inside over the hole.

When that was dry I'd use bondo to fill the gap, sand, prime and paint.

You could do the same patch with drywall compound since it's going to be thin but since I have bondo around that is what I would use!
Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-23-22, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,230
Received 755 Upvotes on 660 Posts
I'd do basically the same as Marq but use Durabond instead of Bondo. Put a screw in the backer piece so you can pull it tight, remove after the adhesive sets.
Old 03-25-22, 03:49 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you , since its a sliding door which might be stronger and resist cracking , Bondo or Durabond ?
Thanks for the advice , it seems obvious yet I missed that .
Old 03-25-22, 04:48 AM
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,260
Received 278 Upvotes on 238 Posts
Managed residential rentals for many (too many?) years-
You'll need some Elmer's glue or wood-glue, some stiff cardboard or very heavy cardstock/hallmark card paper, and about 1-foot of fishing line, two kitchen sponges and a pencil.

Measure the longest distance across the hole - e.g. red. This shows how wide (red) you can make the rear support.
Cut a square long enough to overlap the hole e.g. blue. Cut a heavy cardboard insert to be as large as you can slide through the existing hole in the wall. Make 2 small holes and pass the fishing line through both, tie a square not at the end. Paint the cardboard with glue but NOT where the fishing line is, slip the reinforcing patch through the hole, and using the fishing line, align it so that it's squarely behind the hole.
Slip the pencil through the loop and twist like a windlass- place 1 sponge under each end of the pencil, spanning the hole, to distribute the weight, avoid scuffing what paint is left, and keep the pencil from spinning backwards and loosening.
Once the glue is dry, unwind the pencil-windlass and untie the not, or cut the fishing line and pull it out of the patch.
You should now have a patch that is glued in from behind, which should have pulled the dent/hole flat and flush, and should be ready to paint.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: