Can you "unwarp" a door?

Old 03-30-22, 06:23 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: united states
Posts: 296
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you "unwarp" a door?

Century home, original wood doors and knobs which I love. One of the upstairs doors hits at the bottom before the top. Easiest way would be to angle the jam but thats not what I want to resort to. Is there something I can do to flatten the door once again. Take the twist or warp, whatever it may be, out of it? Thanks

Old 03-30-22, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,904
Received 1,198 Upvotes on 1,153 Posts
Have you put a level against the door to prove the door is the problem? I know, seems like it is but....
Old 03-30-22, 06:38 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,416
Received 1,749 Upvotes on 1,573 Posts
Nope, not really. Your not going to fix what probably took 100+ years to warp. Best thing to do would be to take the hinge side door stops off, move the hinges a little and then reinstall the door stops as needed.

Bottom hinge would move away from the door stop, top hinge would move toward it. Like maybe 1/4". You try to split the difference, not correct it entirely. Correcting it entirely on the latch side would make the hinge side look as bad as the latch side does now. You would typically try to correct half of it by moving the hinges and the other half by moving the door stops.
2john02458 voted this post useful.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: