Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Sliding Glass Door Handle/Lock Assembly: What Is Needed To Shop For It?

Old 08-06-22, 05:40 PM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

My sliding glass door handle was loose and in unscrewing it apart, it was clear that some metal fatigue had torn where things were loose. I assume the entire door handle assembly is replaced and not just the fatigued metal part. From my reading, this handle/lock assembly is the mortise-type, since the door frame has a cutout/hole into which the assembly fits (image attached). If I am buying this online (Amazon? Other recommended site?) and shipping it to myself, what description should I be looking for?

View of sliding glass door frame after handle/lock assembly removed

Old 08-06-22, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
That's a bit unusual, most mortise locks insert through the side of the door (latch side).

I'd probably have a better idea if you would have posted a "before" picture rather than an "after" picture, or at least included photos of your old parts.

I will say that in 32 yrs of carpentry and window and door work, that has me a little baffled. If I recall correctly, does the old handle and latch look anything like this one? I recall an apartment building in town with ones like this:

https://www.tkvco.com/?product_id=113593320_27

Old 08-07-22, 09:25 AM
S
I Still Have The Door Handle Assembly (Parts)

Thanks for looking at this.

Here's an image of the door handle assembly to be replaced. The part that was broken off, creating the loose handle, is circled with maroon color, and it was originally connected to the plate on the area that is circled in yellow. The lock assembly is circle in green, and its flip side is shown above.

The house was built in 1990, so the sliding glass door handle assembly not older than that.

Your URL is to something else however.

Last edited by SteveHomeowner; 08-07-22 at 09:27 AM. Reason: One more bit of info
Old 08-07-22, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Well if that's all that's wrong with it I think I'd try using some epoxy or jb weld to put it back together.

I believe yours is the "midbody" that is illustrated in the link I posted in post #2.
This might be a match as well. https://www.menards.com/main/hardwar...711693&ipos=16

SteveHomeowner voted this post useful.
Old 08-07-22, 03:00 PM
S
Thanks

OK, I will try the adhesive repair and see if the mend holds. If it doesnt hold, then I will do the whole assembly replace. I will do a follow up on the fix.

Old 08-12-22, 09:15 AM
S
Outcome

I tried gluing the part that broke off, but the adhesive could not hold the part and the replacement assembly was inexpensive, so it was purchased. The replacement had some style changes that the missus also wanted, including an optional lock with keys from the outside (not a huge plus, but we will see how it goes). Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: