Casement window kerf problem

Old 09-25-22, 12:53 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casement window kerf problem

Our home has wooden windows installed over 15 years ago. The windows are still in excellent condition (aluminum clad on the exterior) but the weatherstripping that runs around the outer edge of the window needs replacing everywhere. It is foam-filled teardrop shaped with a barb, I ordered new stuff from Allaboutdoors.

The problem is that the new weatherstripping's barb is 0.105", the kerf cut into the window frame is a little wider at 1/8 (0.125) inch. Pressing it in is so easy you know it's not secure. The description on Allaboutdoors web-page says it has 4 barbs and is 1/8" but the picture shows barbs on only one side- the description also says they've depleted the old style inventory and the pictures show the new one but that it is interchangeable. I beg to differ, I did some replacements last year and have been picking up pieces of weatherstripping on the ground because it is falling off.

I can't find the old style anywhere, I think that's just not available any more.

Does anyone have a suggestion to tighten up the kerfs so it can hold the weatherstripping better? I obviously do not want to try glue or silicone as that would cause problems in the future. I tried staples but that only holds it in the spot where the staple is present.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-22, 06:03 PM
C
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
I wonder if a thin strip of sanding mesh (cut from a sheetrock sanding screen) slipped into the kerf before pressing in the weatherstrip would do the job. Bit of a pain to cut the strips but would probably do the job. The sanding screen can be used for wet sanding, so I don't think it will fall apart if it gets a little wet. You might have to try a couple different grits to find one that's a good fit.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-25-22, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
There are hundreds of styles of weatherstrip, made in different shapes for different sized kerfs. We aren't going to be able to advise you very well sight unseen. But it's safe to say you need to get the right size weatherstrip that is made for your kerf size, because you aren't going to have much success with the wrong size.

Your best bet is to identify the window brand and model and get model from the manufacturer, or at least be able to shop for aftermarket weatherstrip for the correct brand and model window.

Old 09-25-22, 10:39 PM
M
To answer both your emails, the company that manufactured our windows was Clawson Windows of Missoula, MT and they went out of business in 2008 or 2009. There is nobody to ask. As I stated in my original post the original weatherstripping is teardrop shaped with a 1/8" barbed fin. Allaboutdoors used to carry this exact product with two barbs on each side of the fin, the new product has two barbs on only one side and a width of 0.105".

https://www.allaboutdoors.com/Foam-F...erstrip-Bronze

My brother (builder) suggested getting some rebar tie wire and using a putty knife to press it into the groove after inserting the weatherstripping- like a backer-rod. It doesn't need to be continuous so only needs to be cut into short lengths. The reason he suggested tie wire is that it is available in different gauges (16 & 19 at least) so I can use whatever fits best and holds the weatherstripping in place.

I know there is a guy at one of the local glass shops who is something of an expert on these windows (someone told me he used to work for Clawson) so tomorrow I may call him up and ask if he knows of a suitable replacement.

Old 09-26-22, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Well welcome to the world of windows. Discontinued parts is a real problem. That link at least helps us see the shape of your weatherstrip... hollow bulb weatherstrips won't work well since they aren't teardrop shaped and will also smash and leak. At any rate, like I said, I would not jack around with weatherstrip that is not the right size for the kerf, i'd be trying other suppliers, other weatherstrips that say they are for 1/8" kerf, and pay special attention to their specs. Some are called 1/8" (.125) but then say the recommended slot size is smaller (like your .105)

You might also try a q lon sash weatherstrip and see if it works for your application. I know that some vinyl casements have switched over to this kind of weatherstrip on their sashes. Here is an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-Fit-...edirect=mobile

I'm sure there are others. Another example might be this product, which says optimum kerf size is .116 which is a little closer to your size.

https://www.amesburytruth.com/produc...ch-100/ql-3074

Old 09-27-22, 11:57 AM
M
So spent a half hour yesterday talking with the fellow I mentioned.

He has the same problem, he went out back and brought in the weather stripping he uses, it was the exact stuff I purchased. He said most of the time it works fine but sometimes due to wear and seasonal expansion/contraction the kerf gets wider. His fix is to take a piece of duct tape and run it along one side of the kerf, then cut it off flush. Sometimes it takes two layers.

I think it will be easy enough to do that.

Also he recommended that I remove the weatherstripping along the bottom edge of the windows. There is crush weatherstripping on the face of the frames that does the real task of keeping heat/cold in, the ones on the edge of the window are a supplement. But the one on the bottom can trap water and cause problems there.

Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: