installing exterior door jamb rot kit

Old 10-18-22, 06:33 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing exterior door jamb rot kit

I can't see which forum to use for exterior doors but I posted once here before and got helpful answers, so I will try again.

I bought the FrameSaver 12" rot repair kit to fix some door jamb rot. The instructions say if damage is on the hinge side, to cut your mark "several inches below the load bearing area."

I'm in a dilemma because the edge of my rot extends to just even with the bottom of my hinge, not several inches below. See attached photo and the pencil line showing the edge of the wet wood.

I could see 3 approaches but am unsure which is structurally best:
  1. - Cut my mark an inch or two below the hinge and use epoxy or Bondo-like substance to fill in the small amount of rot that would extend beyond the new jamb repair insert.
  2. - Cut to the edge of the rot at pencil line and have bottom edge of hinge rest along top edge of new jamb repair insert.
  3. - Use the full 12" of the jamb repair insert and cut a new mortise for this hinge. Top of hinge is just shy of 12", so would align with top of new insert.

Thoughts? I contacted the company but they just provided me with the same line from the instructions. I'm confused why the instructions say to go several inches below the hinge, since the instructional video clearly shows the person cutting about 1/2" or less below the hinge (see 2nd photo). Maybe this approach would be fine to copy.

Old 10-18-22, 06:52 PM
C
Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd make sure there is solid blocking behind the bottom hinge and then make the cut right below the hinge. I'd also replace the screws in the bottom hinge with ones long enough to go into whatever framing is between the brick and the jamb.

Old 10-19-22, 11:39 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, CarbideTipped!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: