Extending threshold new door..

Old 11-23-22, 11:50 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extending threshold new door..

What is the proper way to finish this? Should I create a wood threshold with returns that sit flush under the door casing, or should my threshold sit next to the door casing?

Old 11-23-22, 12:45 PM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
The threshold should go inside the casing on the right to inside the casing on the left. It should entend to the face of the door trim on the door sides. It appears the casing on the RH side in the photo is not flush with outside of the drywall as is the LH side. If it is, why?

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-23-22, 01:21 PM
R
It appears the casing on the RH side in the photo is not flush with outside of the drywall as is the LH side. If it is, why?
Thank you, they are both higher than the drywall as I had to put a 2x4 under the new door to raise it to a leval that it could swing open with the tile.

It should entend to the face of the door trim on the door sides.
I'm not sure I understand, can you clearify?

Old 11-23-22, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
If that door is sitting on top of a board, that board should have been ripped so that it was the same width as the door sill is. Then it wouldn't be sticking out and you would only need a thin piece to cover the front edge of it. And that piece would fit between your casing.

Old 11-24-22, 10:51 AM
R
If that door is sitting on top of a board, that board should have been ripped so that it was the same width as the door sill is. Then it wouldn't be sticking out and you would only need a thin piece to cover the front edge of it. And that piece would fit between your casing.
I see what you are saying. I was in a rush puting the door in and should have thought it through a little better..

Old 11-24-22, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, if that is the only way you have to cover the edges of the tile, you could put a threshold block in front of the door, that is wide enough to cover the tile and long enough to extend to the edges of the casing. Then the casing would sit on top of it.

Old 11-24-22, 12:07 PM
R
Yes, if that is the only way you have to cover the edges of the tile, you could put a threshold block in front of the door, that is wide enough to cover the tile and long enough to extend to the edges of the casing. Then the casing would sit on top of it.
So you think idea in the second picture would be the way to go?

Old 11-24-22, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know what else you could do at this point. The door threshold should have met the tile close enough to caulk.

Old 11-24-22, 01:36 PM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
In the second photo there is insulation showing between the door casing and drywall on the RH side. Is the door at an angle, left to right, relative to the wall?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: