How do I change the width of a door?

Old 07-15-01, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm converting the servant's quarters (since I'm the only servant in my house) into a playroom for my children. It was originally a detached garage, but was added to the main living area way before we ever bought it. There are two approximately 60" wide doors, one leading from the family room into the playroom, and the other from the playroom into the laundry room. The door from the family room into the playroom was an exterior wall on the original garage. I'd like to make these doors about 32" wide, but I'm wondering how to do it. Do I just add a stud and stuff in a prehung door? can any do it yourself peoject be that simple?

thanks

Old 07-15-01, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can double up two studs between the header and the floor to lessen the width of the opening, and install a pre-hung 32" door.
Depending upon where you hang the door (left, right, center), you may need more studs (all on 16" centers). Double up two studs for both sides of the door frame.
lefty or Jack The Contractor (pros, I'm not one) can help you further, if you have any questions.
Good Luck!

Old 07-15-01, 04:35 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kitty, this DIY project is about as simple as it looks. I would suggest that you use one of the existing sides to swing the door from, and the studs that you put in will be on the latch side of the door. The only problem you MAY run into will be the height of the opening. Your finished opening right now should be 80". Assuming that they used 1/2" sheetrock, your header should be 80-1/2" above the floor. Check that. You will need 81" to get a pre-hung door into the opening. You can either shorten the door and the jamb and leave the header as it is, or cut 1/2" to 3/4" off of the bottom of the header before you put the studs in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: