Holes on new door hinges do not align...

Old 02-19-24, 04:51 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Holes on new door hinges do not align...

Hey Guys,

So our front door has been sagging a bit. I found a YT tutorial using a wrench called the knuclebender. It's like $22 bucks when new hinges are like $5 each. I figure lets just give my door new hinges. I found the exact 4 inch hinge with 1/4" radius. They fit exactly into the existing routed slot. Home was built in 1989, but I guess between then and now, the manufactures moved the holes on these hinges? LOL! They are slightly off. So what's going to happen is that the old holes will just become bigger. Because with the hinge in place, you see half a moon, meaning half the existing hole, and half new wood that would need to be drilled. Should I do this? Is there a security concern? Wouldn't this promote sagging even sooner? Please advise, thank you.

Old 02-19-24, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,921 Upvotes on 1,725 Posts
You need to drill out the old holes, such as with a 1/4" drill bit, then buy a 1/4" dowel. Cut the dowel into short pieces, then use yellow wood glue and tap the pieces of dowel in. Wait a couple hours, then trim the dowels so they are flush. Then hold your new hinge in place and predrill new pilot holes with a vix bit, which is a self centering (spring loaded) drill bit.

Old 02-19-24, 05:25 PM
K
Regarding vix bits, I just looked it up. There is an outer housing that's spring loaded, then the bit inside. I know they sell sets with various sizes of the inner bit. But does the outer housing come in various sizes too? Do I need to find one with an outer housing that matches the size of the hinge hole?

Old 02-19-24, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
The important thing is to get a set with multiple sizes and use the right size pilot bit for your screws. Not too big, not too small. No, the outer housing does not need to fit the exact size of the countersink in the hinge plate.

Old 02-19-24, 06:49 PM
K
Man, this really sucks. I realize same issue on door side. 12 holes on the jam side, 12 on the door side. This will be a get up early project. Gotta get it done before dark. LOL!

Old 02-19-24, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
You'll be waiting for the glue to dry longer than it will take to do it. An oscillating saw would be really handy to trim the dowels flush after you glue them in.

Old 02-19-24, 08:33 PM
K
All righty! I do have an oscillating saw. Thank you XSleeper for all your advice.

Old 02-20-24, 03:55 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
New hinges will only correct issue if old hinges have excessive wear on hinge pins and/or hinge bearings. Have you kept the hinge pins lubricated?

Old 02-20-24, 08:22 AM
K
Never touched or even thought about hinges ever since we moved into the house... it has been 15 years. LOL! They do look old.

Old 02-21-24, 02:34 PM
K
So guys, I actually found hinges with the exact hole alignment. So I didn't have to go through drilling new holes. However, the sagging issue was not fixed. I had ordered the knuckbender at the same time as the new hinges. So I ended up just bending the new hinges. LOL! Just the top hinge... the hinges on the door jam side needed to be bent, so that it would pull the door over and lift the sagging right side. All is good now.

So what happened in my situation where brandnew hinges still didn't work and needed to be bent? Could it be the wood in the frame and door had become soft? Because I did noticed there were at least 1 or 2 screws on each the top, middle and bottom hinges where it would run forever. You think longer screws for the ones that ran, could have fixed the issue too?

Old 02-21-24, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
The new hinges are probably just some Chinese hinges that have a large gap between them when they close. And the old factory hinges maybe got fatigued.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: