What's a good brand of (front) door?

Old 04-01-24, 09:03 AM
N
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What's a good brand of (front) door?

Need to replace our existing front door, and have no idea what's a good place to start (brand, where to see them what material holds up the best...). We're in the northeast so it needs to be very weather tolerant...

Style-wise we want something like the one posted below (just an example, not actual color).

We'd also likely want to replace existing storm door with a new one, not sure off-hand if that's part of getting the door or completely unrelated.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Top Answer

04-01-24, 12:44 PM
Wayne Mitchell
Received 19 Upvotes on 15 Posts
All of the home improvement centers sell exterior doors. There are 3 popular door materials. Wood, Steel and Fiberglass. All three materials are available in a wide range of prices but I would stay away from the low end wood doors.
High end wood doors are probably the most expensive. They are also the most attractive with lots of style options. They also require the most maintenance. Steel doors are probably the most common, at least in my area of the NorthEast. Price can vary but they are usually economic compared to wood. With minimal maintenance they can last the life of the house. For me the main drawback of a steel door is that there are fewer design options. I have a steel door, it's nearly 40 years old and looks the same as when new. The only maintenance required is that I remove it every few years and sand and paint it when my wife gets tired of the color. I don't know much about fiberglass doors. I'm sure that someone here will add some info.

Home centers also sell storm doors. We have an Anderson 3000 series full view storm door with a retractable screen and we are pleased with it. It's only 3 years old but we have had no problems with it.

Old 04-01-24, 12:44 PM
W
Received 19 Upvotes on 15 Posts
All of the home improvement centers sell exterior doors. There are 3 popular door materials. Wood, Steel and Fiberglass. All three materials are available in a wide range of prices but I would stay away from the low end wood doors.
High end wood doors are probably the most expensive. They are also the most attractive with lots of style options. They also require the most maintenance. Steel doors are probably the most common, at least in my area of the NorthEast. Price can vary but they are usually economic compared to wood. With minimal maintenance they can last the life of the house. For me the main drawback of a steel door is that there are fewer design options. I have a steel door, it's nearly 40 years old and looks the same as when new. The only maintenance required is that I remove it every few years and sand and paint it when my wife gets tired of the color. I don't know much about fiberglass doors. I'm sure that someone here will add some info.

Home centers also sell storm doors. We have an Anderson 3000 series full view storm door with a retractable screen and we are pleased with it. It's only 3 years old but we have had no problems with it.

mxmom, newbie0101 voted this post useful.
Old 04-06-24, 06:17 AM
Q
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Fiberglass doors are the best for a maintenance free option and can be solid colored or wood grain finish. They will not rust, rot, or degrade unless literally hit with a hammer. Steel is next in line. Insulated ones are best. Wood doors require the most maintenance and can look quite bad in a few years if exposed to the elements.

Old 04-06-24, 12:45 PM
N
Thanks. I think we've decided on fiberglass. Anyone happen to know if these are any good:

https://www.doors4home.com/c-1123-fi...x?section=-105

or just go with HD as it's vastly cheaper:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MP-Doors...3K24/311199643

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steves-S...g&35733-4-9-16

Old 04-06-24, 01:54 PM
Q
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Fiberglass is fiberglass. The things to look for are the thicknesses of the various fiberglass offerings. The other thing I would inquire about is whether the finish products were made with titanium dioxide to prevent fading/discoloration over time. The vendors may not know but they should be able to provide a reference to the manufacturers who should know what finishing products they use. Lighter colors are not usually much of a problem. White will yellow over time if the paint does not contain titanium dioxide. This is more important to know if you are considering a brighter or darker color.

Old 04-18-24, 10:59 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was glad to see that someone posted this question... I'm in the same boat! Live in New Jersey. We liked a fiberglass door that home Depot sales for about $600. It's a door with the model name Clarkston. We looked at the reviews though, and they are terrible! Apparently if you have a glass storm door, this door will melt and warp very easily!
Is a more expensive, therefore hopefully better built door, from a big box store, going to be a better idea, or do I have to go somewhere else?
Thank you for your input

Old 04-18-24, 01:32 PM
N
I also wanted to follow-up again as a local contractor quoted me a price for a Therma-Tru door, but when looking at HD the reviews are horrible: https://www.homedepot.com/p/reviews/...15/317194289/1

I don't have any idea yet if this is the same door, but it's the same company.

Hence I'd like to ask again, are there brands that are know for being better than others?

Thanks again.

conodigi voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: