Door to Window

Old 04-15-24, 04:45 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door to Window

At some point the previous owner added an exterior door on to a carport roof. I'd like to remove the carport roof that is rotting and brings water into the exterior wall where they attached it.

The interior walls are some kind of plaster over gypsum wallboard. The exterior is 3/4" X 9" exposed wood siding. I'm not liking the idea of trying to match the walls plaster finish.

I guess I could just remove the door and make the replacement window the same size but it seems out of place.

Old 04-15-24, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
That opening on the left is a door.

Old 04-15-24, 04:55 PM
T
Yes, the door sized one.

I don't want to lose the carport roof but I can't find anyone that is willing to repair it. It's a DIY and not to code.

This is the outside:

Old 04-16-24, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
Where is the carport? Is it the temporary pipe structure?

What would a window do differently than a door? If that thing on the left is the door I'd just leave it. It already looks more like a window than a door from the inside. I assume there was an elevation issue with using a standard door so they did some unusual work inside.

If you want to replace the "door" with a window to match the others don't forget that you also have to replace or repair the siding on the exterior in addition to patching the wall inside.

Old 04-16-24, 08:55 AM
T
"Where is the carport?"
"added an exterior door on to a carport roof"

"If that thing on the left is the door
"
What else would be a door. Sorry, the window is for reference, not as an option of or to be a door.

"What would a window do differently than a door?" Just seems there is a reason that most all windows are not all the way to the floor. Furniture will block it? Rain will be more of an issue? The replacement carport roof or shade could then be higher. And maybe more?
"I guess I could just remove the door and make the replacement window the same size but it seems out of place."

"don't forget that you also have to replace or repair the siding on the exterior in addition to patching the wall inside."
"The exterior is 3/4" X 9" exposed wood siding. I'm not liking the idea of trying to match the walls plaster finish." Yes, inside and out, not liking that but I think it would look better.

Toying with the idea of replacing the siding on the house and garage but in my area it's like $60k+ for a small 800 square foot house. If I was still young and could move I'd try to do the install myself.

The plan is to remove the carport roof and replacing the siding to stop the water coming into the wall and then put up some kind of cantilevered roof or Shade Sail type thing not attached to the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: