Old storm window and screen removal

Old 04-16-24, 02:07 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old storm window and screen removal

Hi. I would like to clean the space in between my double hung windows and the storm windows and also clean the storm windows themselves.

If I try hard enough I can push the window up but can't get the screen to budge. Also as the window slides up it seems its on a track the whole time. No opportunity to angle its way out even if I did get it to slide up.

The whole frame is unscrewable from the outside but some of these windows are on a 2nd level.

Thoughts? Thanks

window and screen closed

window slid open but screen in place not able to open. the window is fully on a track

Old 04-16-24, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,941 Upvotes on 1,743 Posts
Raise it up and look on the bottom to see if there is a spring bolt that you can retract on each side. And if the screen and top sash are in the same track you probably need to raise the screen and the top sash at the same time then push the bottom of the screen toward the exterior until it's free. The bottom of the top sash and the screen probably interlock in a sort of h-mullion.

If there are no spring bolts it's probably probably side load storm window where you push the sash fully to one side (usually left) until the right side comes out. It's pretty hard to say when we only see a small corner of the entire storm window. You can see the entire thing, we can't.

Old 04-16-24, 04:28 PM
B
Received 306 Upvotes on 271 Posts
You have double track storm windows. The outside track is fitted with a window pane on the top half and a screen on the bottom. They are a stationary set and cannot slide up or down. The inside track houses only a window pane on the bottom half, which slides up to let the breeze in. You can't clean the outside of either glass from the inside. You can only clean the stationary glass's outside from the outside. You would have to remove the storm window from the opening, disassemble the frame and remove the sliding window to clean its outside. You would then reassemble and reinstall. Don't know your finances or ability in DIY projects, but if I was going to pay someone to clean these old storms, , I would consider replacing them with triple track storms.

rfasfnyc voted this post useful.
Old 04-17-24, 07:53 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
beelzebob is correct. I just took a closer look and its exactly what you explained. Although from the exterior, there are latches on either side of the top half window pane and can be squeezed to the let the window down from the outside of the house. No screen to cover that part if the window was down and why would anyone allow access from the exterior. Very bizarre.

XSleeper i did try the side load theory and they wouldn't budge. Looks like these are locked in place.

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-17-24, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,941 Upvotes on 1,743 Posts
Sounds like someone put them together wrong. The spring bolt latches are supposed to be on the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: