Interior Wood Window Frame repair / sealant

Old 05-20-24, 11:15 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interior Wood Window Frame repair / sealant

Hi DIY'ers,
Curious if anyone has used this product on wood for my application?
Basically i have a little water damage and have sanded it out. Just curious what i should be using on the inside wood window frames to help prevent this again for as long as possible...
Gets very cold here in the winter and very hot summers... so alot of temperature changes

Old 05-20-24, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
The bulk of your damage looks like water staining, likely condensation collecting and soaking in from the corner where the end grain of the wood is exposed. Sanding and treating the surface will help for now but the staining will likely return.

The problem probably happens during winter when moisture condenses on the window, runs down and collects at the bottom. Sealing that corner joint area will help, but is difficult to keep watertight for many seasons due to the temperature and humidity changes. Storm windows or anything you can do to cut down on the condensation will help.

takaya49 voted this post useful.
Old 05-20-24, 08:15 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane
Curious what do you mean by storm windows will help? Also since treatment is definitely necessary can you suggest a product? I've been told oils will need treating more often than a product like varathane professional clear finish

Old 05-21-24, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
A storm window adds an extra pane of glass which creates a dead air space between the window and storm. This acts as insulation like thermal pane windows which will minimize condensation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: