Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Possible leak? Condensation? Or something else altogether?

Old 06-10-24, 10:36 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We noticed these small dripping like stains near the bottom corners of the large foyer window (2 story foyer).

I don't have a ladder to get up that high so the best view I have are these zoomed in pictures.

Thoughts or advice on if this is something to legitimately worry about as far as leakage and what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-24, 11:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
Can you provide some good pictures from the outside? One zoomed out showing the whole side of the house. Then a closeup of the window would be helpful.

Condensation usually comes from the glass. Stains would be visible on the trim at the bottom of the window. Condensation, via poor or missing insulation could occur underneath the trim and cause drips like in your photo but that is unlikely. A leak is certainly an option.

Have someone go outside with a hose and spray nozzle and have them spray the area while someone on the inside looks for a leak. Where the water gets sprayed can be used to help determine the source of the leak. It could be at the very top of the window or anywhere else around the perimeter. Also, the leak could be somewhere else altogether like the roof or a leaking AC in the attic. The only thing we can say for certain is that the water is coming from somewhere above.

Old 06-10-24, 11:39 AM
D
Pictures from outside

All great ideas, thanks!

I'm attaching a couple close-ups as well as the overall view so you can see the area in general.

I need to try the hose idea... My theory: Seems odd it'd be a leak based on the pictures and the location. More likely it's condensation (I live in the Chicagoland area, with as you know extremes in weather). Thoughts?

​​​​​​

Old 06-10-24, 11:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
I'm thinking leak more than condensation; I'd be getting out the hose.

Old 06-10-24, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
It looks like it's protected from the weather with that big overhang.

Could be from frost in the winter... but you'd have to pull the interior trim all off to get access to the window perimeter in order to check it... then seal / spray foam it. Sometimes they set the window right down on the rough opening where you can't get any insulation under it, and then if they don't caulk it, it becomes an air leak, which in the winter will cause condensation when that cold air meets warm humid air inside.

Old 06-10-24, 01:17 PM
D
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I think the overhang and possible cracks in the caulk are likely. I'm thinking a good Kilz coating outside (maybe caulking inside too) should help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: