Adjusting a Pocket Door

Old 07-09-24, 10:42 AM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Adjusting a Pocket Door

The pocket door touches at the top of the jamb when closed and gaps about 3/8” at the bottom of the jamb when closed. The latch on the door misses the slot in in the strike when the door is closed. This is not a new development. It just bothers me a little. Is there a way to adjust a pocket door? If so how do I do it?. This is a hollow core privacy door.

Old 07-09-24, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
You adjust the hangers at the top of the door. There is one on each end of the door. There is usually a nut on the threaded rod that connects the trolley to the door panel. Turning that adjusts that point up/down. Some use a very thin wrench to fit into the tight space.

Old 07-09-24, 11:29 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you can definitely adjust a pocket door, it is maybe out of alignment, first check the rollers at the top of the door to level it out, Most pocket doors have adjustable rollers that you can raise or lower with a wrench or screwdriver. Just lift the door off the track, make the adjustments, and see if it aligns better.

Old 07-09-24, 12:49 PM
T
Pictures of the pocket door track

This door does not have enough play to lift it off the track. The track is one sided, that is there is a “J” shaped track. One side is straight on the back side the other side has the groove for the rollers. I can’t reach from the end to touch the rollers with my finger. i think on one side I can see where it is and there is a Phillips head screw that is barely visible from one side. I can’t see more. if i take off the door stop on the top I can gain 3/8” more accessibility and visibility. Is this something that will gain me enough to make it worthwhile? the pictures are my attempt to show the track. I can’t get t good camera angle to show the screw where I think the roller is on one end.

Old 07-09-24, 06:13 PM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
Yes, you often have to remove the trim to get access to the adjustments. If the installer was a kind one, the trim will be attached with trim screws covered by plugs or putty. Most are just nailed on.

Old 07-09-24, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
With no way to see your rollers, we are guessing at whether there is even an adjustment or not. Do the rollers have a face plate at all that is visible on one side of the door, with the door fully closed? Is that the Phillips screw you say is partly visible? If so, you will probably need to remove the top stop on that side and possibly the top piece of casing as well.

Old 07-12-24, 10:03 AM
T

The inside of the wall. Door oen

The track from a slight angle

The track pretty much straight on

Here are some pictures that might be better than before. From the bottom of the door stop to the bottom of the track is 1”. from the bottom of the door stop to the top of the track is 1 3/4”. The inside of the pocket at the head of the door looks like the back side of Sheetrock. I don’t see what removing the casing will accomplish.
I can cut a hole in the wall at the level of the rollers and get to them that way. I am more capable than most of patching the hole so as to be invisible. I just hope I don’t have to do it that way. And I still don’t know if there is an adjusting bolt at the rollers.

Stand by for more.

Thanks

Old 07-12-24, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
with the door fully closed
That's not much help.

Old 07-12-24, 05:10 PM
T
With the door fully closed there is no faceplate visible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: