Installing a pre-hung door

Old 09-02-01, 02:10 AM
Visiting Guest
I am building a new home and plan to install a stainless steel undermount kitchen sink into a granite countertop. Are there any brands/types to get/stay away from?
ie., Elkay, Kohler, Franke

Thanks.

Old 10-03-01, 06:32 PM
Rojop
Visiting Guest
My wife and I would like to replace our interior doors with new pre-hung doors. Our house is fully carpeted. How does a new door frame fit in relation to the carpet? Am I supposed to somehow "bury" the bottom part of the new door frame beneith the carpet? Or will I not install the bottom part of the new frame at all? I just need to know how this works before I start believing I can actually do this on my own.

We just bought this house, and my wife will not be overly impressed if I mess this up!

Old 10-03-01, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The existing carpet is probably fitted over tack strips right up to the existing door frames. The new door frames will probably fit right into the same spots down "in" the carpet.
When you hang a new pre-hung door, just make sure that you put shims or small block wedges under the two sides that will raise the whole thing enough that the door clears the carpet about a 1/2".
The key to hanging a pre-hung door is getting it all perfectly square, plumb and level.
When hanging the new frame, use beveled wood shims behind the frame overlapping each other from both sides. Nail # 8 or # 10 finishing nails through the frame and shims.
Remove the door, start with the hinge side first, and work your way to the strike-plate side...use a level and square to check it as you go.
You'll probably need three sets of shims per side.
Sink the finishing nails after you get it hung right, putty over them, and paint.
Good Luck! Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: