Velux skylight installation

Old 12-01-01, 03:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Velux skylight installation

I will be installing a curb mounted Velux skylight on a new sunroom roof. Has anyone used the flashing kits? Are these windows difficult for the do-it-your-selfer?
Curious: how is the 2x4 frame mounted to the rafters? By toenail? or by some type of fastening plate?

What is the correct order, please? Is this it?
1. Sheathe the roof after puting in the square curb 2.Install flashing. 3. Add window 4. Then shingles?

Thanks!

Old 12-01-01, 08:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Skylights are a very tricky thing. If not insatlled exactly correct, they will leak. Fact of life. I would have it professionly installed for one reason. If it leaks, you have recourse. If you hire someone, do not hire the cheapest guy. An installation will cost about $600 or maybe more depending on where you live. Believe me, this is cheap insurance.

Old 12-03-01, 11:06 AM
pjb contracting
Visiting Guest
In answer to your questions:

Has anyone used the flashing kits?
* I have installed several Velux skylights. They are really a good product.

Are these windows difficult for the do-it-your-selfer?
* They are no more difficult to do really well than any other kind. The cheaper/one-piece variety, in fact, are much more difficult to install in a manner where they won't leak. They greater challenge is to frame the opening securely.

Curious: how is the 2x4 frame mounted to the rafters? By toenail? or by some type of fastening plate?
* I used joist hangers. You can probably buy a book on carpentry/framing which will illustrate the techniques you will need to brace rafters and joists that you need to cut for the opening. Even though i believe that this is more difficult than shingling and flashing, i think that with a little guidance and common sense you will do fine.

What is the correct order, please? Is this it?
1. Sheathe the roof after puting in the square curb 2.Install flashing. 3. Add window 4. Then shingles?
* Not sure what you mean by "heathe the roof". If you cut the opening properly, you will be able to use all of the existing roof deck/sheathing.

I would say the order is:
1) determine where the opening is to go. This can be pretty difficult. start out in the room; poke a screwdriver through the ceiling in the center of the interior opening; go into attic and look at the construction there (i.e. away from valleys? clear of ridges of hips and gables?, need to move A/C duct work?, etc.); consider whether you want a straight verticle tunnel, a flared one, or a bent one. Once that is all determined, drive a nail through the roof from the attic in the exact center of the roof opening.
2) cut out the roof decking to the exact rough-size opening you need. Remove the shingles along the sides for a couple of feet and along top of the opening for about a foot.
3) Frame the opening (including the curb) and the tunnel.
4) I think i remember Velux had directions on how to flash the opening, but if not, follow this rough general order: first, shingle up to bottom of opening; install the bottom flashing piece; run the course of shingles on each side whose lower edge comes below the bottom of the curb; install the first step flash; run the next course of shingles (depending on how big the step flashing is, you may run two courses per step); repeat step flashing and shingles up sides (it's best to leave a small gap between the shingles and the curb to provide a water channel ; install top flashing; shingle across top (leave a small water channel across top too); you may choose to seal down all flashing with roofing cement or a better caulk.

5) install window over flashed opening.

6) complete inside at your leisure.

good luck,
pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: