new entry door

Old 12-12-01, 02:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
new entry door

I have installed a new entry door. The lock side of the door frame is badly out of plumb (.62" from top to bottom). The old door jamb cracked in the area around the dead bolt and lock set due to the gap between the jamb and the framing stud. Can you recommend a way secure this area around the dead bolt. Should I use screws in the area? The entry door jamb has a hole predrilled for the lockset and it looks quite weak around the dead bolt. It is only .75 thick wood.

Old 12-12-01, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,820
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take the molding off the jamb the side of the lock set. You have to remove the nails also. Once the jamb is free, use shims to plumb the jamb. Nail the jamb where you shimmed. You should have at least four places you shimmed. Then put back the molding. If the jamb cracked, fill with wood fill and let dry, sand and paint.
Old 12-12-01, 04:31 PM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 571
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it's a new prehung the unit should have come with a heavy duty plate for the deadbolt with screws long enough to grab the stud behind the jam or you could pick one up at a homecenter. Shim as stated and above and below the lock area which will add some stability.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: