Window Casing (trim)

Old 12-17-01, 05:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Window Casing (trim)

I have recently installed Marvin Ulitmate Clad windows and am
trying to get the trim started. I'm choosing to install a 2 7/8"
clear hard maple trim that will be clear coated. I am however running into a few problems. My goal was to not use an apron and stool but have the trim mitered on all four corners. This
seems to be more difficult than it initially appeared. I thought
it was best to start with the bottom and sides cut to 45 deg and
then try to fit the top piece last. The reveal is tapering off to
nothing on one side which could be either the window installation
or a bow in the trim. I know the window is not exactly square but my siding (vinyl) is already installed and adjusting it now does not seem to be possible. Does anyone have any tips to approach this and the rest of my windows and doors, regarding
four mitered corners. (also, I don't think I can deflect the maple
trim much at all)

Thanks

Old 12-20-01, 11:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ollie-trying to picture what you are saying...trim piece is not straight?uh...can you cheat it at all?.i would assume you removed your siding and now you are working with a bare wall-sheathing?
maybe you have to adjust your angles-47 1/2 etc.tell me more but i would imagine you already have it figured out,if not post again and i will try to help.just thought some more about what you said i am guessing that you would have to adjust your angles not everything is straight 45s and 90s no matter how we like them to be

Old 01-01-02, 03:35 AM
Visiting Guest
mrmojo,
Thanks for replying. If I know that the new window is not square how do I
approach the trim? Would you assume a 45 match-up on at least one corner and then work your way around the window with different angles while rechecking the fit by holding it against the jamb (w/o nails)? It seems as though the mitered angle for both pieces must be exactly the same at every corner. When your happy with the fit by somehow holding all of the pieces together then nail them up? This is difficult to explain.

Thanks for any further information

Old 01-01-02, 03:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Find the angle

Hold a piece of cardboard against the frame, hold your pencil to the inside of it and trace the corner. Hold a 2inch wide straightedge on each line and draw a parrellel line which will now be two inches away. Connect the corner points and you will have your angle to transfer to the saw.......
|
-------\ |
--------\

If the angles are off just a bit then you can 45 it all and install the trim square. A reveal that floats a little will be less noticable after finish. Nail the top...nail the top of the sides and then bring everything together at the bottom and nail it. Then go back and nail the sides......Moldings do flex slightly............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: