Double Hung Windows.

Old 12-30-01, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Double Hung Windows.

Hi Guys, I have a number of pella double hung windows in my 50 yr old home. On some of the windows the strings that connect to the weights that hold the windows up has broken. Can someone tell me if these can be repaired without removing the window? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-30-01, 10:03 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If these are Pella windows in a 50 year old house, they must be replacment windows. Since you mentioned "strings", I'm pretty sure that your windows have spring tensioners, not counter weights. If indeed you have spring tensioners, you should be able to replace them by removing just the sash, not tearing the entire window frame apart.

But if you do have windows that use a counter weight system, you'll have to uncover the chases next to the window to gain access to the weights. No need to take the windows apart, just remove the 1X4 or 1X6 board next to them. (If you have counter weights, they will use ropes about 3/8" in diam., NOT strings.)

Old 01-04-02, 05:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks lefty,,my house is 48 years old and still has the original pella double hung windows. It is heavy string or twine that that run down the side each window that go up above the window where they attach to a tension spring or counterweight. Thaks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: