How to install saloon doors?

Old 01-10-02, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
How to install saloon doors?

I'm getting ready to install a set of "swinging" doors (like a saloon or parlour) in an opening between my kitchen and utility room. It's a standard 36" opening, and I've purchased a 36" bi-fold door (two 18" panels, that come hinged together) that I want to use for the two full-height swinging doors. I also bought two swing-hinges, along with four regular hinges. But I can't figure out how it should be mounted. It seems that opening one-way is no problem, but that the butt of the door would prevent it from swinging the other. Are there special hinges and/or instructions for this? Any ideas? I'll check with my local hardware store on my next visit, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-02, 02:13 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you think about a set of "saloon doors", you will realize that they are only aout 36" tall, and mounted so the tops are about 60" off of the floor. This is so the users from either side can see if a body is present before they just barge through the door. If you install a set of solid doors that are the full 80" tall, make sure your homeowners (liability) insurance and your medical policies are both paid up ALWAYS!!
Old 01-11-02, 04:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hehehe...yes, I thought about that. I could always put small viewing windows in each side, so you could watch for traffic coming from the other side. Hey...just like a restaurant kitchen!

I may end up having to choose another door type. As the utility room has no other rooms adjacent to it, it wouldn't get any "though" foot traffic. So the thought was that if one was carrying a laundry basket full of clothes, they could just sort of nudge the doors open with a shoulder or hip, and pass on thru to the laundry facilities. I could always just put one-way swing-hinges, but that would require you to "pull" open the doors from the other side.

So....I'll keep searching.
Old 01-11-02, 12:15 PM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,817
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Good point about the insurance, but to answer your original question...

The hinges you want are called double action hinges, because they allow the door panel to move BOTH ways (They ain't cheap).
Old 01-11-02, 12:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I see.....matter of fact I think I saw double-action spring hinges listed at one hardware store, but they were out of 'em. I'll check it out again. Do you know if they have to be recessed in the jamb and door like regular doors do?

Thank for the reply.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: