Replacing door "Skin"

Old 01-24-02, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replacing door "Skin"

We have wooden double entry doors that are cracked and chewed in places near the bottom. My husband says we need to replace the skin. Does anyone know what this means and where to get materials?
Old 01-24-02, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wood doors are often a veneer over a core of some other, cheaper material. This makes for a less epensive door intially, and had the benefit of being more stable ( less warp, twist) than a solid wood door.

That veneer is what he is calling the "skin" to replacing it, I doubt you's WELL glued to whatever the underlying material is and you would have to just about destroy both to get it off.

If you can't repair the surface with some type of hardening putty, like Durhams Water Putty, and paint over that, then it is replacement door time.
Old 01-24-02, 09:23 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Andy. If you can't use some sort of wood filler or putty to repair the doors, it's time for new doors. The problem you will run into if you try to simply reskinn the doors is the thickness. Most exterior doors are 1-3/4" thick. If you add a 1/8" skin to the outside, your doors would now be 1-7/8" thick. That extra 1/8" is going to give you fits, especially if you can't move the door stops. (Most exterior door jambs have the stops shaped right into the jambs -- moving them is out of the question.)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: