Great Lakes Window - Vinyl Replacements

Old 01-25-02, 06:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great Lakes Window - Vinyl Replacements

Has anyone used or installed any windows made by the subject company (Great lakes Window of Toledo Ohio)? If so, I would really appreciate your unbiased opinion of the quality, performance, etc. of their windows. Also, how about their warranty service, delivery, etc.?

Because their product looks pretty good to me, I'm about ready to go with their windows. Before I do, I thought I'd check to see if there are any negative reports on them.

Old 01-27-02, 10:16 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Never heard of this brand, but that means nothing. There are a lot (1,000's, literally) of window mfgrs. out there whose product is distributed regionally, and no farther. Compare the warranty of a Great Lakes window to that of say Milgard, Certainteed, etc. And compare the construction. I'm assuming that Great Lakes is a vinyl window. The better vinyl windows have all welded joints, none that are held together with screws.

Old 01-28-02, 09:32 AM
R
Thanks for your reply Lefty. I have compared the Great Lakes windows to those of Certainteed, Pella, Andersen & several other brands. G.L. is an all vinyl replacement window while Pella & Anderson are, of course, wood with aluminum clad.

IMHO, the Great Lakes is a better constructed window with life time warranty as good as any of the others & better than many. Since I posted my note, I've learned that G.L. is a subsidiary of Nortek Industries which is a $2 billion company that specializes in building products including major brands like Nutone, Peach Tree, etc. They're definitely "top gun" suppliers.

They apparently bought some regional vinyl window manufacturers several years ago & merged them into a new operation called Great Lakes. They strive to be the very best "cutting edge" supplier of such windows. They actually recruited (former) CertainTeed employees who now work for them.

My local building products wholesaler believes they are as good a vinyl window as can be bought today & they have been selling CertainTeed, etc. for many years. Two local wholesalers of CertainTeed told me that their service record stinks these days, so they don't try to promote their windows anymore.

What I was hoping to find with my post was some end user/home owner opinions on Great Lakes. So far I've only heard from a woman who had one installed just a few days ago. Although she's pleased with it, this of course isn't a test of long term reliability that i was looking for.

Dick

Old 01-28-02, 12:54 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dick,

Given what you have told me about Great Lake windows, they sound like one of the better vinyls on the market. I have been installing various brands of vinyl windows for over 10 years, and some great improvements have be made with them over that time in terms of how they handle sunlite, heat, cold, etc. Given the family of companies that produces G.L., I feel you would have no problems with service in the event of a warranty claim. If the price is competitive, I would say go with them.

Old 01-28-02, 01:59 PM
R
Lefty,

I'm going to be getting a quote on the Great Lakes windows later this week - & CertainTeed as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, my brother went by the name Lefty too.

Dick

Old 02-05-02, 08:07 PM
Handycapable
Visiting Guest
I was wondering if you went with GL windows. I am looking at replacing mine soon, and I live in Monroe, MI. I'm hoping to get some good deal at the builder shows that are starting now. I will have to check them out.

Old 02-05-02, 09:11 PM
R
I have been temporarily held up on my window shopping so I still haven't decided how I will go. I'm definitely leaning towards Great Lakes.

Regardless, based on what I've seen & heard, I would suggest that you check them out yourself. You could even go over to their plant in Toledo & have a look at what they have to offer. Although browsing their showroom shouldn't be a problem, I suggest you call before hand. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-09-02, 06:06 PM
R
Handycapable,

I got quotes today from a good, reliable, building materials supplier who carries Great Lakes Gold Line & CertainTeed Bryn Mawr II windows; as well as other premier brands like Pella, Anderson, etc.

For 9 sliders, the G.L.'s were about 15% higher cost. Regardless, I'm going with G.L.'s because I feel the slightly higher cost is well worth the superior quality & (if needed) the service factor. Another thing that interested me was "Easy Clean" (teflon like) glass coating that G.L.'s offers. I'm told this provides much easier cleaning & better dirt resistance.

As an aside, the owner of this supply center told me that he had G.L.'s installed on his own home several years ago. He said he's had no problems or complaints & they perform beautifully - no sweating at all. He also said that his installer contractor customers now buy G.L.'s by 3 to 1 over Certainteed (& other brands). Previously, they sold more CertainTeed's.

Good luck with your project. Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: