Oversized screw hole in window frame

Old 01-27-02, 08:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Oversized screw hole in window frame

I had to drill out screws to replace an opening device for my window. As a result I have no threads in the window frame for the new screws and the holes are oversized. I can't just use a bolt on the other side because the device comes right up against the frame. Is there any way that I can get screws to hold in the holes now without having to replace the entire frame. That would be a big job because the frame is sort of embedded in the wall.
Old 01-27-02, 09:09 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I gather you are talking about a casement window, either aluminum or steel framed. You just need to tap the hole for a larger screw (may have to drill the hole slightly larger first). Casement windows use an 8-32 screw to hold the operator in place. Tap the holes to either 10-32 or 10-24, whichever you can find the 1/2" screws and the tap for.
Old 01-29-02, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

you can purchase a varity of anchors inserts , captive nuts
Old 01-29-02, 10:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You could also possibly use a pop rivet, depending on the size of the hole and length required.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: