storm doors,quality

Old 02-20-02, 07:54 AM
lenora
Visiting Guest
storm doors,quality

i would like to replace a storm door. and i want top quality doors, as i have had to replace this same door 3 times because of cheaper materials used in the doors. what is the best door-
wood core?, wood exterior,steel?
larson, and anderson seem good...

any hints?
thanks
lenora

Old 02-20-02, 01:25 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I have been selling & installing storm doors for 35 years and you can't beat a GOOD quality plain old aluminum storm door. By good I mean heavy guage aluminum, extruded corner gussets and at least 4 bronze bearing hinges. These doors are usually available at window & door specialty shops.

Old 02-21-02, 07:16 AM
lenora
Visiting Guest
aluminum storm door

should it be a wood core or foam core? the ones we've installed seem to wear out rather quickly(foam core)

what is a good brand?

Old 02-21-02, 02:15 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Re: aluminum storm door

Originally posted by lenora
should it be a wood core or foam core? the ones we've installed seem to wear out rather quickly(foam core)

what is a good brand?
Plain old hollow heavy gauge aluminum...No foam or pressed wood. Most of the better doors are made by small manufacturers that why you must go to a window & door specialty shop.

Old 02-22-02, 09:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I installed a Pella aluminum clad with a wood core. Got it on sale for about 130.00. Has dual closers, one on top and one on bottom which held up to some heavy winds recently. One of the better values I could find. I have seen a Larsen wood core with plastic laminate rot out in a couple years(got hit by alot of rain)
Why so many doors? Is the wind catching them or kids shoving them or are they just flimsy to start? Johnam is right, a good sturdy aluminum door should last longer than most of the stuff on your house. Nothing to rot away and heavy metal will hold up to the stresses put on a door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: