Mould & Condensation around windows

Old 02-23-02, 03:00 PM
snoozin
Visiting Guest
Question Mould & Condensation around windows

I am wondering if anyone can advise on how I can remove mould from around my window frames. All the windows are single pain and we will eventually change these but can't afford it right now. This was our first winter in the house and I have now noticed that I have mould around every window frame in the house. There was also a lot of condensation during the colder months. I keep scrubbing but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Can anyone help me out on what I can do until we can replace these windows. This can't be healthy for anyone in the house. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Old 02-23-02, 09:59 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You must first stop the condensation before your can get rid of the mold. The least expensive thing to do is put up plastic on the windows. The next best thing is to get interior or exterior storm windows. The interior storm windows will be cheaper and can be used with any new window if you want. Look in your phone book for window and awning stores new by you and they can make either the interior or exterior storm windows.

Old 02-24-02, 04:30 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
You have metal frame wnidows, probably aluminum, right ? With the old style without a thermal break in the frames, you can just about forget stopping condensation.

You can try a bathroom mold/mildew remover like X-14 or something, but once mold has set in, it's hard to stop it.

If you know you are going to replace them, as you should, I wouldn't bother with storms...money down a rathole....but putting plastic "storms" might work for a temp solution.

Old 03-01-02, 11:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the same type of setup but have wood storms besides. Even when the storms are up I still got heavy condensation so until I get the new windows, plastic film it is. The film does a good job. It is interesting to see how the plastic bulges when there are strong winds. Illustrates how much heat these old windows are losing. I usually get the 3M interior film and install it on the trim. If you have painted trim you may lose some paint when you remove it for the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: