Bedroom windows

Old 03-12-02, 05:42 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Bedroom windows

I am converting the second floor of a Cape Cod from 2 to 4 bedrooms. The existing windows span the space I intend install a new wall. This does not leave much room for windows on the garage side of the home. The opposite side I can fit 36x44 no problem which I fell is adequate. The garage side I can only fit 36x24 Is there some rule of thumb regarding how much window for how much space? Or should I go ahead and order wider windows at 3 times the cost? I will be putting this home on the market after renovation. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-02, 09:47 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
OK....i've read this a couple times and it's not making sense...guess my brain is fogged....

You say on the garage side you can only fit a 36x22 and then go on to say "should I order wider windows at 3 times the cost"

So...do you have space for wider windows or not ???

You might also want to check you local codes for egress requirements......if the small window is the only means of getting out of that room, you're making a fire trap.....I sure wouldn't put that small a window in, whether you codes cover it or not....

Old 03-13-02, 10:09 AM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Its a design thing. Right now, the existing window is 120x28 centered in the room. The new rooms are not of equal size, therefore 36" is all that is left in the smaller room. (I want to mount the windows under the existing header.)

At any rate, your thoughts on fire code are enough for me to check with the building department. I'll let then make a recommendation.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-02, 08:48 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There is no "rule of thumb" as such, but there are the rules of "ventilation" and the rules of "egress". Those are building code rules, and not ones you want to violate. I would guess that the 36"X44" window would satisfy both, as long as the sill is MORE than 44" off of the floor. Best bet is to check with your local bldg. dept. They can see what you are dealing with -- we can't!

Old 03-15-02, 05:25 PM
Lucky13
Visiting Guest
Here in Texas the sash opening must be a minimum of 20" wide and 24" high, and 5.7 square feet or more. The 36" x 44" window won't work.

Good luck.
Lucky 13

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: