basement windows

Old 04-02-02, 03:00 PM
skdilly
Visiting Guest
basement windows

I am getting ready to remodel my basement. I want to replace the windows. I have been told by to very reliable sources that you can take the old windows out with out cutting out the concrete under them and then just framing in around them? I have also been told that the only way to do it is to pull the old ones out by cutting out the concrete under them and then installing the new windows? What to do ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-02, 05:52 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Describe the windows you have now in detail.

Old 04-02-02, 06:12 PM
skdilly
Visiting Guest
windows

My windows are 32x15. I have block foundation these windows are ld metal windows the glass is glazed in. At the top of the window is a large board like tim maybe holding it in? Under the window is probably 12" of concrete they set on.

Old 04-02-02, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this basement is living space, do it right. You need larger windows for egress (in case of a fire or some other event that requires a quick exit). Need a minimum of 5.7 sq. ft. (without a mullion or cross bar), a minimim height of 24", a minimum width of 20", and the sill no more than 44" off of the floor. From the dimensions you mentioned, you will need to enlarge the rough openings.

Old 04-03-02, 04:00 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
As Lefty said, depending on your other exit points, you may want to make the openings larger to comply with codes and common sense. If you have the room outside, in other words, the ground level isn't at the bottom of the existing windows, I'd consider at least taking out that concrete they poured under the window.

But if you're just going to replace the windows you have now:

I think the ones you have are the little units that took up 2 blocks wide and 2 courses high and sit right under the wood sill on the top course of blocks and the sash tilts in from the top.

I take the sash out, it's usually easy to unhinge it at the pivot point or you may have to cut it there, then saw the frame at one or two places with a sawsall or hacksaw and pry the frame out. It's normally just barely set in the mortar and concrete with a small flange.

I get a replacement vinyl slider made to the exact hole size you have now and set it back in the masonary opening, using a masonary screw like a Tapcon instead of the wood screws that come with the windows.