Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Pricing and tradeoffs for retrofit vs. replacement window install

Old 04-11-02, 10:13 AM
ROFL
Visiting Guest

This started off as a PM to Tn...Andy, who suggested I put the query out to this forum for all to see...

I've been scouring this forum for information on replacement windows, as I recently moved into a '60s home with original single pane aluminum frame windows. February was a miserably cold month in our new place. I saw in a thread from January ("What can I do for drafty windows?") you had mentioned it costing around $50-$75 per window to have someone install vinyl replacements. Here in the Denver area, I have had no luck getting quotes anywhere near that amount. The absolute lowest price I've gotten was for $120 a window, from a guy who runs a small church and does windows on the side. The next lowest was for $150 a window, from a guy who just broke (ha ha) into the window biz and has only one house to his name. Other more established, full-time contractors have quoted me around $200 a window. I was wondering if your $50-$75 figure was maybe for retrofitting rather than replacing, saving the labor of ripping out the old aluminum frame. All the quotes I have received were for replacements. In case it matters, my 1st floor has 4 windows surronded by brick veneer and 2 windows in wood siding, with the 2nd floor stucco on the front (2 windows) and wood siding on the remaining 3 sides (6 windows).

Regarding retrofitting vs. replacing, are there any drawbacks to retrofitting other than having to settle for a smaller window? I wouldn't care too much about that, as my windows are all fairly nice sized. Apart from bathroom windows, my smallest are 48"x48" and go up to 93"x59". I would be more concerned about differences in thermal efficiency and air/water tightness between the two installation methods. Saving a few bucks on the retrofit wouldn't be a bad thing either.

[Gushing praise of Tn...Andy's helpfulness deleted]

Old 04-11-02, 03:12 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
And as I think I replied in PM.....i think.....I drove from Oklahoma City to my house yesterday.......16 hrs and 980 miles and I'm still a bit on the foggy side....

That seems high to me....I do a replacement for $50 and I supply the trim coil, caulk and insulation as needed with the labor for that.....but somebody over on another forum was telling me about having to comply with a pile of MickeyMouse local regs on lead paint and how much more that cost him on an install, and he couldn't do it for less than $100/window....which MIGHT explain what is going on for ROFL....otherwise, it's a rip......I mean, it takes me an average of 30-40 minutes a window to remove it, reinstall the other new one, trim it oustide and caulk all.....I figure about $10/window in material costs, so that puts me making $40/ in 2/3 hr......and that ain't a bad rate of pay here in Tennessee.

Maybe I need to relocate to Denver for the summer .......4-5 months work at that rate and I can fish the rest of the year back home !

The only thing I might also note is on that bigger window, I might charge for 2 windows depending on how it is set in and all.....

Rofl.....I'd keep calling around....you might even check with the local building code officials to see IF there is some special code requirements they have to meet that would justify those prices....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: