need help with framing instructions

Old 05-03-02, 08:16 PM
schipsrus2002
Visiting Guest
Question need help with framing instructions

Please help, I need to write a paper for my son who is a Senior in High School on How to Frame a Door, he left this morning for a Fishing Tournament and wont be back until late Sunday night, the paper is due Monday and I have NO idea how to frame a door! PLEASE someone help me or direct me where to look for the instructions, I have tried every search I know of. Thank you! Rita

Old 05-04-02, 01:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Assuming that you mean rough framing a door opening in a wall, write a description of this:

Most walls are built from 2x4S, which are actually 1.5" thick X 3.5" wide. Most headers are built out of 2X10s, which are actually 1.5" thick by 9.5" wide.
A header is actually two 1.5" thick boards with a 1/2" plywood spacer between them to make the 3.5" width of the rest of the 2X4 framing.
Most doors, which are available in different widths, come "pre-hung" these days, which means that the door comes hung in its own finish trim framing, and this is squared plumb and level within the rough framing by shimming and nailing it into place, and then trimming that out with molding.
If you mean hanging one of these "pre-hung" doors in the rough framing, do a search in here for "pre-hung doors". I know that I've written a couple of how-to descriptions of this in here, among many others.
I'm not a pro, but maybe this will help get you going until one comes along.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-04-02 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-04-02, 05:39 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If YOU are writing a paper for your son's homework while he is off fishing, I would suggest you have bigger problems than how to frame a door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: