Bathroom window

Old 05-07-02, 02:58 PM
sami
Visiting Guest
Bathroom window

Background:
We have a single-hung aluminum window in the bath/shower area. So far no problems except mildew which I am working on.
I have concerns about it though, because the interior trim seems to be very patchwork. The inner opening is framed with the same tiles as the walls. However, around the window itself are lengths of wood, except for the bottom edge, which appears to be a thin (1/2" high) slab of marble. There is a gap (height of the marble slab) between the tile surface and the two wood lengths along the sides.

Question:
I was planning to just repaint the whole thing: aluminum, wood and marble. Will that be okay, or should I be changing the patchwork inner trim? If so, any thoughts on what I should do? I would particularly like any ideas on what to do about the gaps on each bottom corner.

Another seperate question:
The window has a thin grey plastic?/rubber? strip along the frame and glass. What is that called? Can I remove it and replace it (it is mildewed)?

Thank you!
Sami

Old 05-08-02, 03:14 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If the gaps aren't TOO ridiculous, I'd caulk them and paint over....If they turned tile in to the window, they should have tiled right to the windows and there shouldn't have been any wood trim there....just a bead of caulk where the tile met the window.

The gray pc at the window is what holds the glass in. You can replace it IF....IF....IF....you can find some at a glass shop to match.....different manufacturers used different sized beads for the particular window they were building, so good luck !

Old 05-08-02, 08:36 PM
sami
Visiting Guest
Andy,
The gap is 3/4"x3/4"x1/2". Have not caulked any gaps that big before only edges. Do you think it will be okay? I have no idea why the tile does not go all the way to the window. It is possible the window fitting were changed at one point. Based on the tile pattern, I guess the tile work must have done 20 to 30 years ago!
I really do dislike the whole patchwork look of the trim and wish there was something I could do to make it uniform.

Sami

Old 05-09-02, 04:10 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Yeah, a good bodied latex caulk will fill that......or you could replace the wood strips. I'd sorta be concerned about having wood there are all, assuming it gets some water pretty regularly.

You might look at the building supply places for a vinyl trim strip of some kind you can cut to fit the same space ( plus the gap) as the wood is doing now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: