Replacement Windows

Old 05-07-02, 07:30 PM
KCII
Visiting Guest
Replacement Windows

I would like to replace the windows in my aluminum sided house. I have aluminum windows in it now and want to switch to something like Anderson or Pella. I see replacement windows with and without a flange. I understand a brick or stucco house would use the flange-less, can I use those on my house?

Thanks,
Kurt

Old 05-08-02, 02:18 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Windows with flanges are meant for new construction, where siding or brick will be applied later. They are used sometimes for replacements when the siding is also being replaced at the same time.

Replacement windows don't have flanges.....but the flanges are easily cut off a window that DOES have them.

But the flange is NOT the main issue.....the size of the window is.

In replacement situations, the object is generally to remove the old window and install the new with the LEAST disturbance to the exterior siding and interior trim, thus keeping labor and material costs to a minimun. Manufacturers like Pella and Andersen make a dang good product, but they don't go for the replacement market in my opinion.......I guess they sell about all they want in the new construction market. You CAN use them in replacement situations IF you don't mind modifying your hole to fit their window......In addition to a higher priced window to start with, you have a LOT more labor and trim material costs to contend with, because most times you will have to take a size smaller than your opening now to get the window in......VERY rarely will one just drop right into the hole you took your old window out of....They just make stock sizes and you have to live with it.

Replacement makers, on the other hand, SPECIFICALLY go after the replacement market. They custom build a window to fit whatever hole you have. You measure the hole, they build the window. Vinyl windows are the big boys in this market, though Marvin does build a custom wood exterior clad window.

Example: Lets say you have a 36x36" aluminum window.....aluminum makers seem to go with even foot sizes a lot......Andersen, on the other hand, makes a 36x38"......you have to modify your hole 2".....doesn't sound like much until you get into it....., or go to the next size down... probably something like a 2/8 ( 32") x 2/8".......now you've got several inches to fill in around your siding and inside, plus retrim the inside.....maybe some resheetrocking to

Cost for the window and modifications.....probably $500 each.....

Get a good vinyl window, LowE glass and all......installed.....$250.

See the difference ?

Old 05-10-02, 06:07 PM
KCII
Visiting Guest
Andy,

Thanks for the info. Maybe by this time next year I'll have one done

Kurt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: