Installing a steel entry door

Old 05-15-02, 12:42 PM
howlou
Visiting Guest
Installing a steel entry door

Can anyone out there give me an educated/experienced opinion as to whether a vinyl clad face on a wood doorjamb is acceptable on which to mount a storm door? We have a "Mastercraft" 6-panel prefinished white steel door which comes with a prefinished vinyl front on the wood jamb.
Someone told me that it is not acceptable to mount a storm door to it. I don't understand why. Can't you just drill holes through the vinyl since the jamb itself is wood? While I'm asking, has anyone purchased this door from Menard's? I don't have the booklet on it, (it's stamped #1450 if that means anything). Menard's attests to it being a good quality door and that the vinyl front is satisfactory for the mounting of a storm door to it; however, they did say it would probably be easier to deal with a regular wood jamb. Thanks, Lou: confused:

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-02, 05:42 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Can't see why it would make any difference....I "wrap" the brickmoulding on a typical door with vinyl coated aluminum trim coil before I mount storm doors and then drive the mounting screws thru that......

What was the reason for "being unaccetable" ??? sounds like a personal opinion to me.