Installing window in primary door

Old 06-01-02, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing window in primary door

The primary front door to our house is a solid wood door 1 3/4" thick. It is a slab, with no window or opening of any kind. The door is in excellent condition.

I would like to install a semi-circle style window in the door, just to let light in and for appearance. It would be relatively easy to cut out the appropriate opening and insert such a window.

My problem is none of the local home improvement stores or lumber yards have any advice on whether such a window is available or where to look. I have checked around on the web, but can't find anything similar. Does anyone know if such an insert exists and what type of distributor might have access to it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 06:27 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Ask the local lumber yard where they purchase their exterior prehung doors. We have a place just up the road that does them. Then get them to order you just a glass unit with the moulding. The moulding used is a plastic "split" moulding that installs from both sides and screw on the inside pc go into the outside pc ( but don't show outside) sandwiching the glass unit in place. They are made exactly for 1 3/4" doors.