making wood doors

Old 06-22-02, 07:34 AM
Ginnfizz
Visiting Guest
making wood doors

Thanks TN Andy for your advice.
It was smug of you to think my son has NO prior experience . HE has built his house and wood shop by himself.
I thought perhaps you might KNOW how to make a door..since most of them are store boughten now days.
Gratefully, Ginnfizz

Old 06-22-02, 03:36 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Ginnfizz:

Apparently you took my reply wrong.

My reply was:

"What you're asking requires some fairly skilled woodworking and could ( and has ) filled books. There is no simple answer. I'd suggest you buy him some books on door making and general woodworking to start......then add a few years of experience.....it's not as simple as grabbing a plank and slapping together a door."

My point is : It is a fairly complex and skilled woodworking effort to make wood doors. If you're looking for a "how to" on a forum like this, you won't get it......as I said, it can and does fill volumes on woodworking JUST to make doors.
I've been a carpenter for 30 years and only in the last few years got into making doors......I've installed thousands of doors and built a lot of homes and other buildings.....that didn't qualify me to make doors. It was a whole new learning curve.

As for smugness, I don't think anything in my reply makes any comment on your son's experience. If you're disappointed that you didn't get an online course in doorbuilding, sorry.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: