Odd size door opening

Old 06-30-02, 10:55 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Odd size door opening

I'm framing an area under my basement steps to use as a closet. I'd like to make some "odd sized" doors for access (Nothing fancy Probably just use some MDF for the door(s) themselves). In general how much larger than the door itself should the opening be to accomodate the hinge & allow the door to open & close easily?

For example - I figure the width of the largest door will be about 24". How much on each side do I need? Should the opening be 24 1/2"? 25"? etc. You get the point.

Old 07-04-02, 08:39 AM
wvallens
Visiting Guest
Odd size door opening

Sounds like you have the same questions I do. I am trying to make a hidden door/bookcase. I have had no luck finding any specs. as how to make the door work in the opening. I will probably end up heading out to the local "Super Hardware" store, and get a salesperson to help me answer my questions.
Some of the bigger retailers have specific areas like doors & windows. It can take patience to go this route as it is usually a waiting game to get help, even then it may take time to find the person that can help you. On one occasion I was given a salespersons name that could help me--but he was out that day. I was told to call him during his "on" days, and he would let me know the best time to come in and work with him. I was pretty impressed, due to the fact that this was a major retailer, (Lowe's in my area). It worked out, and we ended up getting everything for the project through them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: