how to build my own bay widow

Old 07-05-02, 08:19 AM
chuckarcher
Visiting Guest
how to build my own bay widow

i have a old house an do want to build my own bay windows could someone please help me . i m not sure how to start the project????just trying to save some money if i can !I am also interested in building my own bay window???/

Old 07-05-02, 01:05 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I've built several......it's not too rocket sciencey.

I take the width of the opening and lay that out on my shop floor to decide the angles of the two side windows and the center window. I generally use a couple of double hungs on the side and a picture unit in the center. I try not to get the "depth" to much or you will definitely have to have some support "props" under the seat board to support the unit.

I use vinyl replacement windows for my windows. We have a local manufacturer where I get them....they also carry an "umbrella mullion" pc that allows you to mull the side windows to the center window with a mull that flexs with about whatever angle you want.....this makes that joint area an easily solved problem.

On the height of the unit, I take what ever the rough opening will be in the wall ( usually I'm taking out some existing windows, so I use that RO ), subtract the thickness of the head and seat boards, plus maybe a 1/2" for shim room, then order my windows based on that height and the widths from the layout as above.

For head and seat boards, if under 8' in length, I generally use a hardwood plywood like oak or birch, and sandwich it with a layer of 3/4" foam, and a layer of 1/2" CDX plywood. The underside, I wrap with aluminum trim coil, turn it up the outside lip of the seatboard, and under the window area so the windows sit on it to seal good.

I'll do the same on top back far enough to cover the edge and whatever is exposed overhead. I either keep the window back under the existing roof overhang if possible, running trim on the top up to the soffit of the house, or build a roof over it if no overhang exists on the house.

IF the window exceeds 8' lenght, I build a solid head and seat board up out of 1x hardwood to the length needed. You CAN find 10 and 12' hardwood plywoods in some areas, but it's sort of a specialty item that most building supply places won't carry. We had a church pew maker locally I used to get some from, but they went out of business.

If it's a BIG window or high up, I generally mount the seatboard in the opening, then mount the windows and top board, assembling it in the hole for ease.......if smaller and more accessible, I like to do them in the shop and stick in the hole, whole ( is there an echo in here )

What else ya wanna know ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: