Closing the gap

Old 07-06-02, 07:45 PM
wooleyed
Visiting Guest
Closing the gap

[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE] Latest "honey-do" was to remove a perfectably servicable storm door and replace it with a Anderson full-view door. Much to my bafflement, when I tried to install the latch-side Z-bar, I found a gap large enough to serve burgers through. While the door opening was within the recommended size for the door I picked, instead of 3/16", I ended up with almost 9/16". Since it'd take a Cedar forest of shims and I don't have ripping capablities to size a one-bye to the appropriate width, what's the best solution for closing the gap? My instincts are to start from scratch and add a piece of one-by under the hinge-side Z-bar. I'm hoping somebody knows a better solution. This info is critical to ending my banishment to the couch!
Thanks for the tips in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wooleyed, from your description it sounds as if your opening is 3/8" wider than your storm door can accomodate. If that gap is uniform top to bottom, my thought is to purchase a length of 3/8" stock and use it to shim out the shortfall on the latch side. With a coat of matching paint, it should not be obvious to anyone but yourself. By the way, how bad can banishment to the couch be anyway?

Old 07-27-02, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmmm? I replaced a storm door with a 'fancy one' last week.

I had the opening perfectly sized, plumbed, etc. and I had the exact same issue. The instructions said a 3/16th but I had about a 3/4! I simply put in a small strip. No problem.

The door is great. It took about 4 to 5 hours to install. It is from Emco and says 'Forever Doors'. It will add some air insulation and definitely adds some noise insulation.

BUT!!! The instructions were absolutely terrible! More confusing than helpful. Who makes up the idiotic manual? I told the guy back at Home Depot about it and he grinned and told me that he forgot to advise me that the first installation step is to throw out the **** instructions!