wrong staining

Old 07-16-02, 08:01 PM
newtohome
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down wrong staining

hi
i just intalled a bifold door, seprating my family room from living room. that carpenter did a very bad job in staining the door, you can see paint dripping from top to bottom. my question is, first is there any way to change the color/stain. second if not how about repainting it nicely.
the old carpenter has refused to complete the job, is there any reportable thing that i can do to stop that person hurting other people. (my freind reffered him to me)
and last how to find some to stain the door.
thanks

Old 07-17-02, 12:26 PM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
OUCH!!!
From your description I would consider the project sunk from a staining standpoint (especially if that door is louvered).
What do you mean “I installed a bifold door” (yourself)? To me, if I can install it I can stain it. Using high quality stain products, staining projects are no-brainers. I would have Minwaxed that door laying flat (before installing it).
Depending on the wood, use a pre-conditioner. Apply the stain with a staining cloth or high quality brush. Today’s stain are formulated so that they are self-leveling (for an even finish). The hardest part really are following instructions on the product application. If desired, apply a final coat of polyurethane for wear (pick your sheen).
The old stain.. staining penetrates the wood and is now part of the wood - strip or sand it off (pick your poison predicament). Personally, I would replace and stain. Or, paint (apply a sealer and paint – depending, sanding may be required).
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: