basement window replacement

Old 07-24-02, 07:34 AM
ghart2000
Visiting Guest
basement window replacement

First timer replacing a basement window.

I removed the interior trim and made my measurements of the rough opening in the top,mid,bottom as directed.

I plan on removing the entire old aluminum window. My opening is 33 1/8 high by 34 1/4 wide.

I haven't removed the exterior trim yet but I assume that is simple. My question is should I go with a new construction window with the flanges or with a replacement window ?
I'd prefer not to have to cut into the siding on the outside of the house.

I've also read in one place I should ask for exact measurements while in others ( i.e This old houses' Tom Silva) they say I should make should the window is 3/4" narrower and 1/2" shorter than the opening.

Old 07-24-02, 10:53 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Shoot for the new construction prime window when you can (I did), especially when you're taking out the exterior trim.
Measure from the exterior trim, top/bottom and left/right - that is your "exact measurement" EXCLUDING the nailing fin. So when you put the trim back exactly as before, the new is exactly as the old window.
All things being equal the nailing fin is also your vapor-barrier/structure, whereas in the replacement/retrofit the same is only as good as the caulk.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-02, 04:37 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
What kind of exterior trim do you have and is it covering a nailing flange on the aluminum window ? or does the nailing flange on the aluminum window extend under the siding ??

And what type wall construction is your wall ? And what type siding ??

And I'd have to disagree with GasGuzz on:

"All things being equal the nailing fin is also your vapor-barrier/structure, whereas in the replacement/retrofit the same is only as good as the caulk. "

The nailing fin is just a convenient way to install a window.....If you run vinyl siding over the nailing fin as many do, you still have a GREAT place for water to enter....true in may not come in the window RO, but it will run down the nailing fin and rot the sheathing/wall under the siding. A properly installed replacement ( and picking the RIGHT replacement to start with.....one with a sloped sill and no weep holes....ie most welded windows.....) will actually be MORE waterproof than most new installs.......IMHO

Old 07-25-02, 06:18 AM
ghart2000
Visiting Guest
window

Thanks guys. I actually did some more digging and it appears the old window may have been constructed on site and fitted to the opening. The window casing is actually wood, not aluminum. I will inspect the exterior tonight and gprovide some more information.

Old 07-26-02, 06:46 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What size to order?

I have the same problem---replacing old basement windows that are way out of square.

Do I need to remove all the wood trim around my basement windows? It is in good condition and I would hate to do that.

All I want to do is insert a new vinyl slider inside the window casement that is already there.

The kid who waited on me at the home center wanted to order a window that was only 1/4 inches smaller all around, but that does not sound like it will give me enough room to play with.

Exactly how much smaller should the height / width of my windows be in order to get them level?

Old 07-26-02, 09:33 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
How out of square IS "way out of square" ? Give us a measurement on the diagonals and what the size of width and height are.

Level is nice, but isn't all that critical...square is. Without square, the window will not operate properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: