Flustered- I need help in finding

Old 09-12-05, 11:17 PM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flustered- I need help in finding

Some sort of window treatments for my French doors. They are in my dining area, I have mostly a country look & I like the Waverly door panels as seen in JCPenney but they are not wide enough Or actually they ARE, but only ONE is, & it is PLAID. This will not work because I have another plaid that is too close to this door. (very similar to the Waverly)

All of the panels I have found are 26" x 68" and I need 28"x68".

I'm not apposed to other treatments but cannot seem to find anything other than the panels that are on the little rods & cause the "hour glass" effect... I'm not fond of that as I like having it open in the day time.

When we moved in here, the former owner had pleated mini blinds above the french doors but they need replaced. I don't like the blinds on doors & I'm at a complete loss They have put a piece of wood between the door & the header while installing the door- it makes a sort of shelf to hang the mini blinds on... this I'm afraid will not allow me to use any vertical blind instalation so that is likely out? I have room to place it BELOW the "shelf" but the door frame would then be ABOVE the track the verticals are hung on.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have battled this for months & just spent HOURS searching the net & can just find nothing.

I visited this place last year & got some GREAT advice on window treatments for another room & I'm hoping you can come through for me again You can see the door here http://www.angelfire.com/ak/mycherub/newhome.html

Thank you SO MUCH in advance! And I hope I've not confused you all!

PS... Annette, not sure if you remember helping me the last time but I added the pictures of the poles & tops- I added 2" as you had suggested & it's still snug but works! The pics are all at the url above. I have had MANY compliments on the window treatments... Thank you again!

Last edited by zeeky; 09-13-05 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Change text
Old 09-13-05, 12:11 PM
yes i remember you and you're welcome! the curtains look great!

now - those doors! the easy fix would be to just replace the pleated shades - or don't you like them? you could cover that whole area with a gathered valance on a really wide rod & dress it up a bit.

or you could deal directly with that piece of wood. are there any plans to change or remove the wallpaper around the doors? because someone attached that piece of wood above the doors for the sole purpose of having something to attach blinds to, because they didn't want to attach the blinds directly to the door. but it looks goofy and would be easily removed, but you'd have to re-do the moulding they put around the whole unit, which would leave a strip of unwallpapered wall above the doors (maybe you have extra wallpaper leftover you could use??). that would take care of that piece of wood. then you could use whatever kind of window treatment you wanted on the door directly, like the soft shades or new pleated shades or 1" wood blinds, etc. whatever you do, don't use vertical blinds!!! they are about as un-country as you can get. very office-building looking IMHO, or very contemporary at the least. but NOT something YOU want in the same house with those cute curtains! if you're fairly handy, you could probably make those soft shades yourself. it's basically a long panel hemmed on all sides with 2 front and 2 back strips for ties sewn into the top seam, so when you roll the panel up, you tie it in place. the whole thing attaches with velcro to the door above the glass.

Old 09-15-05, 10:21 AM
Z
Hi! Thank you!

I'm not sure how to put the large valance as the door (only one opens) open to the INSIDE and unless I hung it at almost the ceiling level & took it right to the edge of that wood... it would hang into the door as it is closed.... this is actually what has happened with the blinds- it had dropped a bit below the top of the door & one of the kiddo's closed the door on it... it actually BROKE a piece of the top of the door! It can be glued & fixed up as it didn't damage the actual usage.

I don't care for the mini blinds on the doors... just don't care for the style for doors. So I'd like to get out of having to go that route.

Do you happen to know of anywhere else that might have the velro style panels that are wider? Waverly makes them the width I need but only in another plaid that I can see? That is really what I'd *LOVE* to get for the doors & I could probably make some if I could find a fabric/pattern (I'm on an island in Alaska It's just whether I can get the TIME to make them as I have a home daycare & have like 8 kiddo's all day

Thanks so much! Oh BTW... I would *LOVE* to get that wallpaper OUT of the kitchen! The former owners dogs have torn up the area near the doors but it is a HUGE room & I've yet to get the time to remove it! The past owner also LOVED wallpaper! I have had to remove it from two bedrooms and they painted over paper (partially removed!) in the lower bath.... ICK! I would have removed it so you didn't see the torn areas under the paint but.... that's ANOTHER job ahead

Thanks again!!!

Old 09-15-05, 10:35 AM
All of the panels I have found are 26" x 68" and I need 28"x68".
what is the exact measurement of the glass in your doors? would a 27" width work? if so, how about this one? it'd be cute with your plaid curtains in the other room.

if not, i think you'll have to make them yourself (or have them made), cuz all i see is 26, 27 or 30. no 28's. you can buy any Waverly fabric by the yard online. you could order one of the ones you like from JCP and use it for a pattern/model. and then return it.

the valance idea was really just me grasping at straws. it wouldn't be all that attractive & would probably draw attention to that area. actually, i would strongly encourage you to carefully remove that moulding around the door, remove the weird piece of wood, recut the 45 degree miter so that the trim just wraps around the door unit as it should, and reinstall it. then deal with the leftover mess above the door when you get around to redoing the wallpaper in there.

Last edited by Annette; 09-15-05 at 11:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: