S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Burgundy Curtains in a Blue Room

I just painted the living room a light, almost robin's egg blue
(Ben Moore's Mystical Blue)
I left the trim white

The floors are medium-to-light brown wood
Also in the room there is a brown hutch (which may be refinished-the color goes but it's used) and a green and brown armoire-type cabinet (and the green no longer works, that will be painted I'm sure)

The sofa in front of the window is dark blue, but that's not an issue, as that can be changed

The light blue walls work well, but I feel I need a color shot in there
There is a fireplace that has some dark brick, and a picture that I'd like to keep over that, that has burgundy in the matte

I feel I need a color shot in there
I want to do big deep burgundy curtains
It'll match the matte, and a lot of the bricks
(all are a close match to Ben Moore's New London Burgundy)
She thinks I'm nutz
lol

Any input would be great on if this idea is Bold, Brilliant, and Beautiful or just Blech?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-19-06, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nutz? not at all. light blue, navy blue & burgundy work great together. i've seen it done a lot. but you need to tie it all together as an official color scheme with several items that have the blue AND burgundy in them. (several solid colors thrown together in the same room just don't work as well). something as simple as a floral throw pillow, for example, will work. your picture is a good item, since it's a focal point.

she might be opposed to such an important item (the draperies) being burgundy, when the only other thing that's burgundy now is the matt on the picture. and i might agree with that at this point, but if you work on the other items incorporating more of the burgundy, it could work, like recovering the sofa in a fabric that is both blue & burgundy. right now, it's sort of blotchy - burgundy draperies, navy sofa, light blue walls. you need to disperse & mix the colors up a bit more. or, if you like your sofa, you could use the same navy on the draperies and keep the burgundy just for accents, like the matt, throw pillows, floral arrangements, etc. there shouldn't be 33% light blue, 33% navy, and 33% burgundy. it should be more like 40/40/20.

i'd say you're on the right track.

Old 01-19-06, 02:53 PM
S
Thanks Annette
It is sort of "blotchy" right now
That's a good way to put it
(and you seem to have a good grasp of the situation, not easy over the interweb...lol)

The solid navy sofa was really an accommodation (denim, kitty, claws)
And not a "keeper"
I think we're ready for a change, if kitty is ready

I'll discuss it with her tonight, I'm sure we can work out something
I think she'll like the throw pillows and flowers idea

Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-19-06, 03:21 PM
is the brick on the fireplace burgundy-ish or more brownish?

because if it's brownish, you could do the ever-so-popular-right-now color scheme of robin's egg blue and dark chocolate brown!!! it's a little on the contemporary side (think pottery barn). maybe "she" would like that (is "she" the kitty???) run it by "her".....

Old 01-19-06, 07:31 PM
S
More burgundy-ish, actually quite burgundy-ish
The opposite wall has a brown hutch

Angel is all for this idea and thinks we should put the throw pillows and floral arrangements and burgundy curtains on the floor, with some exceptionally fluffy pillows over the spot where the furnace is in the basement because the floor is warmer over there
Michelle, however, is still not digging it
We went to Sears to look at the burgundy curtains, and she's not...impressed

I've got some material in mind for the sofa that has those colors
Maybe that will sway her

If I find it on-line I'll post up a link

Thanks for your help Annette

Old 01-20-06, 06:10 AM
S

(image courtesy of thebestfutoncovers.com)

Old 01-20-06, 11:17 AM
what is that a picture of? the fabric for the sofa??? i'm seeing a beachy scene with adirondack chairs & umbrellas........is that right??

if you're showing her solid plain burgundy draperies, i'm sure she's not impressed. they'll need to have a good texture or textured pattern to them. another thing that would jazz them up would be to do a padded cornice in the sofa/pillow fabric over top of the drapery panels. maybe she'll like that idea......

Old 01-20-06, 08:44 PM
S
Yup

A padded cornice huh?
Do I need a special bit for my router for those?

lol
...guess I'll have to look up some curtain terms

Old 01-23-06, 11:31 AM
i know you've seen a padded cornice before: it's is one of those upholstered "boxes" hung over the top of a drapery treatment. it's got sides & a front & sometimes a top (to keep off dust), made of wood (or lighter weight styrofoam) and sometimes it's just left stained or painted, or sometimes it's padded & upholstered in fabric. it's a good way to use heavy upholstery fabric from a sofa or chair on the window. usually uphostery fabric is too thick & heavy & stiff to use as a regular drapery fabric, but by covering a cornice board with it, you can use the heavy fabric on the window.

you can make the bottom edge of the cornice board any shape you want - either straight across so it's just a rectangle, or you can curve it or scallop it - anything you want. you can just cover it with fabric, or you can edge it with piping (welting) made from the same or contrasting fabric, or use some sort of trim, like rope or braided cording or trim with tassles attached, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: