Palladium window treatment

Old 02-10-06, 08:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Palladium window treatment

We have just moved into a home with a large arched palladium window over the front entry in the 2-story foyer. At first we thought it was wonderful to have a large window with lots of natural light. Now, however, I'm not so sure. The problem is that, of course, people outside can see up to the second floor landing, particularly at night when the family is running around in their pajamas. The second problem is that there is also a street light outside the front of the house, which illuminates the entire 2nd story landing. In the interest of privacy, I'm looking for some kind of window treatment that can 1) let in natural light during the day, 2) somehow provide privacy during the evening. The window is probably 7 feet square plus a large arch window on top. I've considered having the glass treated with film (but I'm afraid of some kind of mirrored look from the outside), some how hanging some kind of sheer or light drapery, or having some kind of heavier drape that could somehow be closed at night (remote control traverse rod, long pull rods of some kind - something of a challenge when the drapes are 2 stories up!). The inside of our home is decorated with kind of a rustic old-world feel, and I don't necessarily think that a heavier drape would look out of place (at least from the inside), yet I am honestly having a hard time visualizing it because I haven't been able to find any kind of palladium window treatment out there. How do I cover the 7 foot square and somehow treat that arch? Blinds, I'm afraid, are out of the question. Has anyone had any experience with this type of window? All of the houses in the neighborhood with palladium windows have no treatments at all- and it is quite easy to see in from the outside (not that I go around peeking - but the windows are quite prominent.

Thanks for any advice....

Old 02-11-06, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I like panels that are mounted above the arch. This way you can see the whole window when open and you'd want to hang them from a decorative traverse rod (if you decide to use that). However, if you want to read the thread on Tall Windows, that was just posted, it's best to get a professional to do this. You can't buy panels that long from a store, and the rod would need to have an extra long pull installed, again, not available in a store. You can also get motorized traverse rods, and this also involves custom work and expect to pay a minimum of $1,500 just for the motorization, and probably more considering the size of the window.
Another option would be to just tie back the panels, but part of your arch would always be hidden.
Unfortunately, there are no simple, easy answers to windows like these.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-12-06 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 09:53 AM
i would try frosting the glass first, or applying a frosted or "wavy effect" film first. they're removable, so if it gives the mirror effect you're afraid of (i don't think it would though) or if you just don't like it, you can take it off. as the least expensive option, i'd start there & work up to the $1,500+ options!

Old 02-13-06, 10:27 PM
D
Thanks for the advice.

So you don't think that panels hung above the arch would look odd from the inside? I've never seen something like that, and am just trying to imagine a traverse rod hung from above the arch, with panels opened and hanging on either side of the window.

I realize that's exactly what I'm asking for, but just trying to imagine if it would actually look good.

Any thoughts on hanging the traverse rod just from the top of the square (right where the arch and the square windows meet)? The arch would always be uncovered, but I think it would block most of the light from the street light, and provide adequate privacy.

I like the frosted glass film. I have already used it on the side lights on either side of the door, and the transom window above the door (door panel sheers looked too frilly), it actually looks quite smart for a $40 investment. Maybe I could frost the arch, and hang panels on the square....

Old 02-13-06, 10:31 PM
D
I couldn't actually tie the panels back, because they wouldn't be long enough. The window I'm describing is actually directly above the front door, on the 2nd story level of the open foyer. So the bottom of the panels have to be short enough to hang above the door.

Old 02-14-06, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Hanging panels above the arch is a popular look, and looks very nice. However, ending them in mid air, above the doors, will not look nice
If the panels will interfere with opening the door, then shades or blinds would be a better option. A Sunburst (a sheer than is shirred on a rod and gathered in the center) would look nice on the arch, with either blinds, cellular shades, or romans made in the same sheer fabric as the sunburst, on the windows. It depends on your tastes and style.

Old 03-11-06, 02:36 PM
L
Red face Palladium Window Treatment

I just happened across this posting as I searching for help for my palladium windows. I too have the same problem. We work at night and sleep during the day and the sun comes in our arch window keeping me from sleeping like I should. As I continued to do some searching I came across a site that shows you how to make a "Sunburst curtain" out of sheer material. I think I am going to try this (when I can find the time). Here is the link to it.

http://www.hutchal.clara.net/curtain...st-curtain.htm

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Old 04-02-06, 07:54 PM
D
Smile Solution found!

I ended up going with an "etched glass" or "champagne" design film. I picked it up from HD. I used the same film on the side windows and transom above the door. It is exactly the look I wanted, and we have received lots of compliments. We have total privacy without the dreaded mirror effect, and it looks very nice. I can actually still see through to the outside during the day. But you can't see in! We do still get light from the street lamp outside, but it is much more subdued. The hard part was the installation. I rented scaffolding and did it myself. Total cost for all materials and scaffolding rental was under $300. Not bad!

If I ever do decide to go for a change, (which wont' be for a long, long time!), it's nice to know that the film is easily removable.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 09-07-06, 09:48 PM
M
palladium solution

i have the same problem with my palladium window. i was wondering if you would be kind enough to take a picture of yours for us to see. i have the the windows with the criss cross inserts in them, will that make the film look weird?

Old 12-29-06, 10:30 PM
C
Easy $35.00 Arch Window Sheers Treatment

We have this palladian window 5'x5'. I read many posts, I didn't see this nice looking easy fix:

I went to Lowe's. I got an 8 foot length of flexible plastic white tubing from the plumbing supply area. It's about a 1/2 inch diameter, and mine says "HOT COLD potable water" on it. It cost $3.47.

I bought four sheer panels from Target (two packs at $9.99 a pack)

I simply slipped the rod through the hems. No need to sew the panels together into one. Just cut the tube to fit into the arch while you are standing there holding it.

I hung the curved and draped rod in the arch by nailing two little picture hangers on each side of the arch, and just sticking the hollow tube ends over the hook end. I also put two very tiny nails higher in the arch just to hold the rod in place up there.

I got scissors and trimmed it off straight along the bottom of the sill, leaving enough for a nice neat finishing hem there. Put a spring loaded sheer rod through bottom $8.00. Done.

I haven't seen this anywhere on the Web, but I apologize if somebody else already thought of it.

It was so quick and easy, I did a second arch window just for the heck of it.

Old 10-30-07, 09:37 AM
D
Still happy

A few of you have asked if I am still happy with the film I applied to the palladium, transom, and side windows on my front entry. I am still quite pleased with the result. I'll have to snap some pics for you to see.

Several of the neighbors have come over to look, thinking that I had paid a pretty penny to have someone professionally etch the windows. They were surprised to see how easily and inexpensively it was done.

Like mom2drew I have the "criss cross" inserts in my palladium window. They don't look odd at all, in fact they were really a good thing to have. The sheets of film that you can purchase are only approximately 2x3 feet. My palladium window is nearly 7x8 feet, meaning that I needed several sheets together and was going to have several seams. I made sure that when I cut the film I strategically planned to have the seams hiding behind the lite frames (or "criss-cross"). From the outside, you can't see the seams at all. From the inside you can barely see them if you stare long enough (at least I can see them- because I remember where they are- my wife can't see them).

Our transom window and side lite windows had individual panes, so I ended up cutting the film to fit those without any seams.

When I first did this project I wondered if I would regret not being able to simply open some curtains and have a clear window every now and then. To be honest, it has never crossed my mind. The film lets in plenty of light (diffused light, which is nice for our south facing house!) but still gives great privacy. Again I used the "champagne" style film, which has kind of a marbled effect, as opposed to a completely opaque film which is also available.

Old 09-23-08, 01:27 AM
H
Originally Posted by DoIt
We have just moved into a home with a large arched palladium window over the front entry in the 2-story foyer. At first we thought it was wonderful to have a large window with lots of natural light. Has anyone had any experience with this type of window? ....
I had a similar problem once and i tackle it properly due to some good advice from Expert NoAds.com
One of the biggest obstacles with wide windows such as a palladium window is the fact that it can be difficult to find a curtain rod that is both wide enough and strong enough. Usually, wide curtain rods need a support bracket in the center, which can create an issue if a rod pocket valance is desired.

For that reason, I recommend rod pocket valances as inside-mounts mostly and offer ring-mounted and board-mounted valances as a clever alternative for those who want to mount their valances outside of the window frame

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-23-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Advertising not allowed. Link removed.
Old 09-17-10, 03:15 PM
J
Just a caution about window film on Palladians

Hi - I like the great ideas given here, and have a palladian window myself. I think I will try the flexible rod idea - as the window faces west, and the afternoon sun is pretty glaring here!

I am not sure what part of the country / temperature variances you have there. But, one caution - that was given to me by the gentleman who installed my wood blinds for the lower rectangular windows. He recommended film for the top half circle, and two side quarter round windows - but cautioned that although it is available at home stores/do-it-yourself, he recommended professional (and guaranteed) installation - because using the wrong type, or if not properly installed - the film could actually cause a LARGE window to shatter in extreme winter cold (at least in my area - Chicago/NW Indiana area)- as the cold temperature, then the sun on the glass can cause the glass to go through too fast of a temperature change across the span of glass.

He doesn't even install it, but recommended someone who did - who would replace the glass if it ever cracked.

If you don't experience extreme cold winters, I wouldn't worry about it!

Old 09-17-10, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
This thread is almost 5 years old. I'm sure they have come up with something by now. Who knows, maybe they don't even live there anymore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: