help with a very long tension rod 139"

Old 07-11-06, 12:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question help with a very long tension rod 139"

please help! I am writing from sydney australia, and am renting in a loft apartment so I cannot drill holes into the walls. I need a very long tension rod or some other drill-less alternative to drape a curtain along an open space in my loft as I have no door and therefore no privacy! The dimensions are 344 cm or 139 inches (although I have 20cm/8inches to play with as could drape from inside banister or further back from wall to wall). I have been told about a twisting tension rod that could fit these dimensions but cannot find anything on the internet so far. Seems tension rods are not available in Australia, so I am happy to order from a US or UK site.

Old 07-11-06, 01:09 AM
N
forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that I've already bought an extendable curtain rod from ikea that does fit, but then i realised that adhesive hooks probably wouldn't be strong enough to hold up curtain rod. has anyone used tension brackets?

Old 07-11-06, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Unfortunately, you won't find a tension rod that long. The longest, that I know of, is 120". I'm not familiar with tension brackets. Have you considered folding screens?

Old 07-11-06, 04:50 PM
N
the ceiling is very high and i've bought a curtain that is almost 3 metres long which can cover the space from the roof to the banister which is about a metre high. it's quite a challenging space!

Old 07-11-06, 05:12 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Almost 12' is quite a distance to span. Even if you could install a mounted rod, it would need support in the middle.

A couple tall bookcases (or armoires), turned toward the living area could decrease the size of the open space in the area you which to provide a barrier. Then, a drape could be installed between the two bookcases. Backs of the bookcases could be covered with matching or contrasting fabric to camouflage the unfinished backside of the cabinets. Lightweight photos or prints or decorative items could be pinned and displayed on the bedroom side of the bookcases. This would provide a privacy and additional storage or display area.

Another option could be to purchase (used--check used office furniture outlets) the fabric-covered dividers used to separate office cubicles. While not as attractive as the previous option, depending on decor, they could be recovered with fabric, arranged in such a way to provide much needed privacy, and provide an area to pin photos, prints, and lightweight decorative items.

If fabric is very lightweight, such as a sheer, and extends from ceiling to floor, perhaps stick-on velcro on the ceiling could be used and stitched or iron on velcro on the fabric would allow you to casually drape an elegant divider reminiscent of Arabian Nights.

Old 07-16-06, 10:21 AM
L
In the same boat

Have you come up with a solution or a source for the tension rod? I am having the same problem.

Old 07-16-06, 11:28 PM
N
thanks for your great suggestions! I actually have 2 timber warddrobes which were sitting side by side, so I moved them so that one was against the wall and the other next to the stairs and then used my existing curtain rod, bought some spring tension brackets which i inserted on either side of of the curtain rod and hung up some thick cotton curtains. They are stable enough because they are not hanging up very high, and in between the two robes i've put my tv with the curtain as a backdrop - it actually looks quite nice and adds much more privacy. YOu now cannot see into my room at all from the living room below. When I can borrow a ladder, I think will follow your other suggestion and hang some light weight fabric from the ceiling using velcro, so I can curtain off the entire space. THanks again!

Old 05-31-07, 09:04 PM
T
long tension rod for curtains

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/103802_anywhere-adjustable-curtain-rods-set-of-2.htm

I think this is what you were looking for, but only goes to 120".

Old 04-21-09, 03:49 AM
S
Ok, I know this thread was started some years ago but I thought I'd share the info I've found regardless. I'm also looking for 140" tension rods for my apartment. I got fed up of searching so finally typed in "made to order tension rods" in google and found this website
........................I havent contact them yet or checked out the other search results but just wanted help those who were still looking. If any of you guys have found other solutions please let me know. Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-21-09 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 04-21-09, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Removed link, but that site looks like it's for outdoor commercial systems rather than a simple tension rod for a home window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: