Bay Window Dilemma

Old 11-19-06, 08:20 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Bay Window Dilemma

Hi, newbie here.

I stumbled upon the site while searching for bay window solutions and finally gathered up the courage to register and ask a question.

I need educated opinions.

My dilemma is this:

I have a bay window that is comprised of three windows. The middle window is 6050 and the two windows on either side are just 1350. The middle window is fixed, while the side windows are single hung.

I do not want to go with any form of blinds on the center window, but may go with 2" blinds on the side windows. If I choose this option, would two tab top panel curtains look silly on the middle window?

Also, if I didn't go with blinds on the side windows, would it look silly to just have the two tab top panel curtains on the middle window and leave the side windows open?

The side windows are so small that I cannot put panels on each side of the center window and the far sides of the side windows without the curtains covering up too much of the window.

I am not concerned with privacy as much as with it looking pretty and uncluttered.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-19-06, 08:49 PM
B
BLD
I have never seen anyone really do that with a center tab top and a blind on each side..

Also.. what do you mean by "6050" and "1350"? 60 and one half inches? thirtenn and one half inches?

do ya think you could take a picture? that would help anyone willing to offer an opinion

Old 11-19-06, 08:56 PM
B
Thanks for responding so quickly. I am unable to include a picture, as the house is being built.

6050= 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall
1350= 15 inches wide and 5 feet tall

Thanks again!

Last edited by Bewildered1971; 11-19-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-20-06, 12:00 PM
6050 is 6 feet wide by 5 feet tall????? if so, wouldn't 1350 be 13 FEET? i've never seen measurements written like that. you should really just say 72x60 or 72"W x 60"H.

anyway..........i would treat this window like one big window that just happens to angle in at the sides. either use a panel on each side to nicely frame the window unit, or just use a top treatment across all 3 sections. you can either buy a rod that has bent elbows to fit the window shape, or you can just butt 3 separate rods together & it'll look like one bent rod. or 3 separate blinds/shades.

but don't treat the side windows differently than the middle one.

Old 11-20-06, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Upvotes on 272 Posts
Since a bay is all one unit, I would treat it all the same. I don't think it'll look right to have blinds on the outsides and panels on the insides, in fact, it'll probably look quite strange, I would think.
If you want panels, I would just hang them on each end of the window. If you have wall space, you can extend the rod out so they don't cover the glass. If you're never going to close them, you can just get the short rods for each end. Or you could just hang a valance above the whole bay, by itself or over blinds/shades. If you do install blinds, I would put them on all three windows, not just the outer ones, or it'll look unfinished.

Old 11-20-06, 12:26 PM
B
Thanks for your advice, Annette and Shadeladie.

The measurements are off the house plans. 1350 is 1'3" wide and 5' tall.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think I'll just throw out the blind idea all together, since I don't want blinds on the center window, and go with the valance or curtains on all three windows.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Bewildered1971; 11-20-06 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: