Applying trim to curtains

Old 06-22-07, 01:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Applying trim to curtains

What is the most professional way to apply trim to the edge of curtains? I'm talking about the trim that has a decorative braid and tassels that is meant to lay on top of the treatment (and not sewn into a seam). I have tried hand sewing, which is tedious. I have machine sewn it, which shows on the back. I have used liquid stitch glue as well as hot glue, but that is kind of messy to work with. My latest attempt was with iron on adhesive strips (Heat n Bond) but it doesn't adhere very well to my fabric, which has a slick finish. I have read about Steam a Seam 2; is that what I should use?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
Hand stitching is the best way, but only if you're being paid for the extra work. Otherwise use fabric glue. Just dot it on or run a thin line, press on, and let dry overnight. The problems with gluing are 1. they probably won't be dry cleanable (altho vacuuming is recommended for custom work) and
2. if you ever need to take the trim off, probably won't be possible.

BTW, hand stitching usually goes pretty fast once you get going, but I learned to hand stitch before I learned how to use a machine. Try a running stitch for trims. It's also best to stitch top and bottom.

Old 06-23-07, 08:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, for the hand stitching, what kind of thread do you use? Do you just match to the color of the trim and not worry that the stitches show on the back (the lining)? I read a suggestion somewhere to use "invisible thread"? Do you know what they're talking about?

Old 06-23-07, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
Yes, I match the color to the trim and I usually use Gutterman thread, but sometimes Coats and Clark hand quilting thread or double duty thread. The monofilament (invisible) thread has it place sometimes, but not in hand stitching. Hand stitching should never be seen and be almost invisible. You just catch the face fabric and it shouldn't show thru on the lining.